Saturday, June 19, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: The Everlasting First: The Damned

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is another chapter in The Everlasting First, detailing how I became aware of a British punk rock group called The Damned.

It's no spoiler to say that The Damned were one of several groups I discovered in some way via the pages of a rock 'n' roll tabloid called Phonograph Record Magazine. I spoke at length about PRM right here, and PRM was also key to my subsequent embrace of the sounds of The New York Dolls, The Sex Pistols, Blondie, The Ramones, The Clash, Cheap Trick, and more. Phonograph Record Magazine was very important to me.

Like many stories, my introduction to The Damned also involves a girl. Wouldn't be a proper story if it didn't involve a girl, right? They aren't all love stories (nor even unrequited love stories); sometimes the story involves a friend or acquaintance who happens to be female. On this blog, these stories have touched upon musical experiences with The Monkees, The Go-Go'sThe Kinks, Heart, The Runaways, Elvis Costello and the AttractionsThe Bay City Rollers, and The Beatles. I betcha there are more such stories kickin' around here somewhere (and a Rush story that was so inconsequential that I never got around to telling it), but those are the ones my stupid boy-brain can conjure at this second. My lovely wife Brenda is introduced in my story of discovering The Jam, and she's at the heart of my reminiscences of The Ramones' Rocket To Russia album and seeing concerts by Brian WilsonPaul McCartney, and The Peter Tork Project.

Today, it's all about the intersection of a rock 'n' roll tabloid, a teenaged girl, and a punk group from England. My discovery of The Damned provides the subject for the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.


No comments:

Post a Comment