Saturday, August 21, 2021

Writing Fast Redux

I like to write quickly. It's not always the way I approach my writing, because it's not always the best way to approach writing. Some things demand time and deliberation. All pieces, fast or slow, require craft. But when the fast track works? Man, it's such a great feeling. The screen was blank. Now it's filled. Faster than a speeding bullet.

After selling a short story last week, I wrote a new short story this week. Its random idea occurred to me while I was driving Saturday night, and percolated in my brain for several days after that. In my head, I knew the opening lines, I knew the ending, and I pretty much knew how I wanted to connect it all. On Thursday, I started writing it during the day, adding little pieces in small bits of productivity in between doing other things. On Thursday night, I finished its first draft, tweaked it several times before going to bed, and then completed the final version Friday morning with the addition of two words ("and tights") I felt it needed. I then submitted the story to AHOY Comics for the editors to review and judge. It might sell, it might not sell, but I like it, and I'm delighted that its creation flowed so smoothly.

The story is called "Pop Friction." Its first line is "She had grown tired of her life in film noir." You'll see what follows when the time comes.

In November of 2019, I posted a blog piece called "Writing Fast," discussing this very subject of...um, writing fast. That piece was about my secret agent story "The Copperhead Affair," which AHOY wound up buying. Here's hoping the fast track will prove equally kind for "Pop Friction."

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment