Thursday, August 19, 2021

Professional Liar Resumes His Mercenary Fibbing Ways

 

When it comes to writing and selling short stories with the word "Copperhead" in the title, I'm now a perfect four out of four. The good folks at AHOY Comics have just purchased my story "Chaos At The Copperhead Club," and it will appear in a future issue of one of the AHOY titles. I will--you betcha!--post details of its publication when they are available.

This is the first short story I've completed since 2019. I was on a pretty good roll in that pre-pandemic year, writing ten new short stories and eventually selling five of them to AHOY. I didn't exactly get writer's block after that, but I did lose some of the will to make stuff up. I started writing "Chaos At The Copperhead Club" in late 2019, grew dissatisfied with it, and put it aside until about two months ago. It all clicked into place for me then, and the story was finished and submitted to AHOY in short order.

"Chaos At The Copperhead Club" is set in 1983, and it centers on a 17-year-old female punk rock bassist with a family legacy. It's in the same continuity as my 1885-set Western "The Last Ride Of The Copperhead Kid," my '30s pulp avenger thriller "The Copperhead Strikes!," and my 1965 secret agent adventure "The Copperhead Affair." I have a long-term goal of stringing these all together in book form...someday. The day of the Copperhead!

I have another current project that takes precedence right now, and others waiting in the wings. That big project (due out in late 2022) is nonfiction, and I'm waiting on its contract before I can talk about it. I also want to finish and find a professional path forward for my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). I wanna write more fiction, too. I want to tell more stories in the world of "Guitars Vs. Rayguns." And, of course, I wanna write more about those fascinating Copperheads. Watch this space. 

And watch your step. You never know when a Copperhead could strike.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool, Carl! Stringing those stories together is an intriguing idea. (When I mentioned to you that I had a novel-hopefully-coming out, I didn't know you were also writing) Are you doing your own illustrations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The editors at AHOY take care of the art assignments for the short stories. They're prose stories, so just one spot illustration for each.

    ReplyDelete