Wednesday, August 4, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: The Power Pop Hall Of Fame, THE RAMONES

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my 2017 piece inducting the Ramones into the Power Pop Hall of Fame.

Between this blog, my freelance work for Goldmine from 1986-2006, and any other forum I could round up, I've written quite a bit about the Ramones. My long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) will contain chapters about three Ramones songs--"Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio?," "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker," and "Blitzkrieg Bop"--and an additional GREM! entry (about the Ramones' version of "I Don't Want To Grow Up") will be appearing as part of another forthcoming project. I've written about my first Ramones concert, the importance of Rocket To Russia, the non-LP B-side "Babysitter," the Archie Meets Ramones comic book, the Subterranean Jungle album, Rhino Records' reissues of the first four Ramones albums, and my reaction to the death of Joey Ramone. The Ramones were part of my first attempt at rock journalism. Hell, I even tried to write a Ramones song. The Ramones are mentioned in my histories of both bubblegum music and power pop. I'm a fan. I'll have still more Ramones writing to come.

I've written a few other induction pieces for Aaron Kupferberg's Power Pop Hall Of Fame site. In addition to the Ramones, I've inducted the Flamin' Groovies, the Flashcubes, the Spongetones, Pezband, and the Rubinoos.

But today, the Power Pop Hall Of Fame spotlight falls upon the American Beatles, the greatest American rock 'n' roll band of all time. The Ramones are the subject of the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.


TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment