Friday, November 5, 2021

Slight Update: Reining In THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (VOLUME 1)


An infinite number of songs can each be THE greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns.

I've been doing a bit more work on my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1), with an eye toward finally moving the project forward. As I await the contract for my other book ***** ***** ***! * ************ **** *** *******--which is about all I can tell you about that at the moment--my focus has returned to GREM! I may post an update on its proposed Table of Contents soon; for now, October's GREM! update is the book's current public status. But its blueprint is going to change a little bit.

My feeling is that the book has become too long. When I first began talking about GREM! as a book in 2019, it was supposed to be a mere 45 chapters. That expanded quickly, as I figured I wanted the book to be a little grander in scope. Over time, I settled on a framework of X amount of songs, supplemented by five additional tracks (Overture, Entr'acte, Encore!, Encore!!, and Coda) plus a few scattered bonus tracks for atmosphere. The book got as large as 200 songs plus the supplemental tracks, but stood at 175 songs plus supplementals in October. I was tempted to expand that number again.

But...no. At least not for now. In fact, I think the book needs to shrink a tiny bit more. The current target number is 150 songs plus the bonuses, and that's probably where it ought to remain.

I have come up with a Table of Contents that matches that goal. There are still two to five more songs I'm looking to squeeze in there somewhere, but if any of those go in, something else has to come out.

As of the October update, there were 24 chapters awaiting completion; now, there are just ten to fifteen, depending on which ones I cut and which ones I add. The reduction in size will see a number of completed chapters removed from the book, like the Elton John chapter I posted here a few days ago. I already have more than enough completed chapters to make this a book of 150 songs or more, but I'm switchin' and swappin' song choices to serve my agenda, regardless of whether or not I need to write more. And I do need to write more.

Like I said, I'll probably post another updated Table of Contents within the next couple of weeks or less. In the mean time, the draft of my first book***** ***** ***! * ************ **** *** ******* is done, with a tentative publication date of Fall 2022. The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) will seek its own infinite turn after that.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment