Monday, November 15, 2021

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio # 1103

 

Not long ago, my Mom asked me which was a more important creative outlet for me: my writing or this radio show? 

I don't really have an answer to that. I've known since my earliest teens that I wanted to be a writer more than I wanted to do anything else I could think of doing. On the other hand, I've loved music my entire life. Becoming a musician myself was a non-starter. But I could write about music, and I started doing so in the '80s, technically as a professional freelancer, though never for very much money. I started co-hosting radio shows with Dana in 1992, strictly as a community radio volunteer; there was never, ever any place for me in commercial radio. Neither path has provided a career. Both have provided moments of satisfaction and personal fulfillment.

And each interest has fed the other. My small notoriety from pop music proselytizing generated a platform to promote This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio and its '90s predecessors; TIRnRR in turn made more people aware of my writing. I think of myself as primarily a writer. When I was one of a handful of DJs among the power pop performers and pundits interviewed by Aaron Kupferberg for his book Songs Stuck In My Head, Aaron mentioned that he considered me to be primarily a radio guy. That's the story among the relative few who have heard of me. Some know me as a writer. Some know me as a guy who spins records on the radio.

I guess I'm both, just like Dana's both a visual artist/photographer and a radio guy. We do other things to make a living. But our passions are in the arts. And every Sunday night, we have a few songs we wanna play for you. We follow the paths that get us there. Music's always the right choice. This is what rock 'n' roll radio sounded like on a Sunday night in Syracuse this week.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at  http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read all about this show's long and weird history here: Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (The History Of THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO)

TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS are always welcome.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

PS: SEND MONEY!!!! We need tech upgrades like Elvis needs boats. Spark Syracuse is supported by listeners like you. Tax-deductible donations are welcome at
http://sparksyracuse.org/support/

You can follow Carl's daily blog Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) at 
https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/

TIRnRR # 1103: 11/14/2021
TIRnRR FRESH SPINS! Tracks we think we ain't played before are listed in bold

THE RAMONES: Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio? (Rhino, End Of The Century)
--
HAYLEY MARY: Like A Woman Should (Universal, The Piss, The Perfume)
SAM PHILLIPS: Baby, I Can't Please You (Virgin, Martinis & Bikinis)
THE KENNEDYS: Dharma Cafe (The Kennedys, Stand)
SPYGENIUS: Paper Sun Love Is Only Sleeping (Big Stir, Spygenius Blow Their Covers)
THE JAYHAWKS: She Walks In So Many Ways (Rounder, Mockingbird Time)
--
THE GRIP WEEDS: Porpoise Song (Jem, DiG [Deluxe Edition])
THE VELVET UNDERGROUND: Venus In Furs (Polydor, Peel Slowly And See)
ANDY WILLIAMS: A Fool Never Learns (Columbia, single)
THE QUICK: It Won't Be Long (Real Gone Music, Mondo Deco)
MANDY MOORE: Moonshadow (Epic, Coverage)
VIC GODARD & THE SUBWAY SECT: Johnny Thunders (Motion, Twenty Odd Years)
--
WENDI DUNLAP: Buildings (Futureman, Looking For Buildings)
XTC: Respectable Street (Virgin, Upsy Daisy Assortment)
LITTLE RICHARD: Good Golly Miss Molly (Specialty, The Georgia Peach)
THE OSMONDS: Crazy Horses (Curb, 21 Hits)
THE WELL WISHERS: Let's Drive (n/a, Spare Parts)
SODA MACHINE: Want Ads (Atlantic, VA: Vinyl: Music From The HBO Original Series Vol. 1)
--
TOMMY GUNN: Can't Stay Here Tonight (single)
THE TOURISTS: Blind Among The Flowers (BMG, Greatest Hits)
THE HONEYCOMBS: Have I The Right? (Rhino, VA: The British Invasion: The History Of British Rock, Vol. 1)
THE STRANGLERS: 96 Tears (EMI, Peaches)
STEVIE WONDER: Higher Ground (Motown, The Definitive Collection)
THE SPENCER DAVIS GROUP: Keep On Running (EMI, VA: The Cavern: The Most Famous Club In The World)
--
THE TOMS: One Man Girl Parade (Futureman, Tomplicated)
THE SMALL FACES: Song Of A Baker (Snapper, The Definitive Collection)
THE SHANG HI LOS: Plymouth Rock (Rum Bar, single)
GUIDED BY VOICES: Glad Girls (Matador, The Best Of Guided By Voices: Human Amusements At Hourly Rates)
JILL SOBULE: Claire (Beyond, Pink Pearl)
GREGG YETI & THE BEST LIGHTS:  My Narcoleptic Sara (Eskimo Kiss, Heart Palpitations Of The Rich And Famous)
--
THE KINKS: She's Got Everything (Sanctuary, The Ultimate Collection)
THE GO-BETWEENS: Was There Anything I Could Do? (Mushroom, 16 Lovers Lane)
ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ATTRACTIONS: I Hope You're Happy Now (Rykodisc, Blood & Chocolate)
X-RAY SPEX: The Day The World Turned Day-Glo (Castle, Germfree Adolescents)
THE CRUSHING VIOLETS: A Groovy Kind Of Love (n/a, A Dream Without Color)
FISCHER-Z: So Long (United Artists, single)
--
THE CHELSEA CURVE: Top It Up (Red On Red, single)
FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE: Survival Car (Atlantic, Fountains Of Wayne)
DOG PARTY: Girlfriend (Asian Man, Vol. 4)
THE DOORS: Hello, I Love You (Rhino, The Future Starts Here)
THE FLASHCUBES: Alone In My Room (single)
THE DIODES: Tired Of Waking Up Tired (Epic, Tired Of Waking Up Tired)
--
THE GRIP WEEDS: DiG Theme (Jem, DiG [Deluxe Edition])
THE JAM: But I'm Different Now (Polydor, Direction Reaction Creation)
THE RAMONES: Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue (Rhino, Ramones)
THE MUFFS: Pollyanna (Omnivore, No Holiday)
I DO YOU DO KARATE: Love Comes To Town (Half A Cow, One Last Job In Mexico)
THE APPLES IN STEREO: On Your Own (Yep Roc, Electronic Projects For Musicians)
THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY: I Can Feel Your Heartbeat (Razor & Tie, The Partridge Family Album)
THE PRIMITIVES: Out Of Reach (BMG, Lovely)
--
THE COCKTAIL SLIPPERS: She Devil (Shout It Out Loud) (Wicked Cool, Shout It Out Loud!)
LES HANDCLAPS: I'm So Into You (Handclaps, Sessions: Brooklyn)
THE BOYS WITH THE PERPETUAL NERVOUSNESS: I Don't Mind (Kool Kat Musik, Songs From Another Life)
LEW LEWIS: 1-30, 2-30, 3-35 (Stiff, Save The Wail)
CHUCK BERRY: Johnny B. Goode (MCA, The Anthology)
KISS: Shout It Out Loud (Mercury, Destroyer)
THE LINDA LINDAS: Oh! (single)
--
THE MONKEES: You Just My Be The One (Rhino, Headquarters)

No comments:

Post a Comment