Wednesday, November 24, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! Little Richard, "The Girl Can't Help It"

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is another chapter from my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1), this time celebrating "The Girl Can't Help It" by Little Richard.

Although my GREM! book currently has no specific path to publication (a polite way of saying no one wants it yet), I've been working on it anyway. I'll probably post an updated table of contents very soon, as I've been tweaking its blueprint and can see its finish line drawing near. As I write this, GREM! is only nine or ten entries shy of a completed draft. If I can get those remaining song chapters done before midnight on December 31st, I will have finished writing the full drafts of two books in 2021.

My first two books.

Now, I didn't begin work on either of these books this year; I started writing both of them years ago, but saw them through (or nearly through) in 2021. I can't say much about the other book, except that it's also nonfiction and also about music, and it has a tentative publication date in late 2022. Its hype will flow freely when the time comes to announce it. I can say with some pride that, once I decided a few months ago that the book's draft was completed, I have not gone back to tweak it further. Those who know me will react with justifiable disbelief, but it's true. Given my obsessive nature when it comes to my writing, this is a remarkable accomplishment for me. It's done. I know it's done. And I don't see any reason to revise anything until someone in editorial asks me to do so.

Which frees me to work on The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). I'm going to finish that one as well, probably before the end of this year, or at least not long after that. The completed sections total about 142,000 words, with a goal of keeping the final product under 155,000 words or so. I do hope you get to read it some day. In the mean time, its chapter about Little Richard's "The Girl Can't Help It" serves as the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment