Tuesday, May 9, 2023

GABBA GABBA HEY! on Bridge Street

On Monday morning, it was my great pleasure to appear as a guest on Syracuse's long-running morning TV talk show Bridge Street. The occasion was, of course, the release of my new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones. (https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/) Bridge Street hosts Steve Infanti and Erik Columbia made me feel right at home, and gave me a nice, big soapbox to pounce atop. You can see the video right here, my friend. Here's NewsChannel 9's description of the appearance, courtesy of Laura Koch:

(WSYR-TV) — The Ramones are one of the most iconic punk rock and pop punk bands of all time. Now, there’s a book you can get that will teach you all about them.

Author and Ramones superfan Carl Cafarelli joins us live in studio to discuss his new book “Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation with the Ramones” which highlights their cultural and musical legacy.

The book presents an expanded view of interviews I did in 1994 with Joey, Johnny, Marky, and C.J. Ramone, originally done for Goldmine magazine and cited by The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame as essential reading. The interviews are supplemented by essays establishing the group’s historical context and impact.

The book release party will be May 13 from 7 to 9 p.m. with live music at the 443 Social Club and Lounge on Burnet Avenue in Syracuse.

Cost of admission is $15 and includes a $15 minimum food/drink purchase.

Learn more at 443socialclub.com.

There will be a book signing at Parthenon Books on Salina Street in Syracuse May 18 from 6 to 8 p.m. Admission is free.

Learn more at parthenonbookstore.com.


Yeah, I feel like a big shot. My thanks to everyone at Bridge Street, including the great Tim Fox for making it happen, and obviously to Steve and Erik for their friendly professionalism. (As the video reveals, Erik and his wife, NewsChannel 9 meteorologist Kate Thornton, are indeed my next-door neighbors. I am pleased to say they are, in fact, wonderful neighbors, too.)

NEXT UP FOR GABBA GABBA HEY!: BOOK RELEASE PARTY! Loudest book release party you'll ever attend. That's this Saturday, May 13th, from 7 to 9 pm at The 443 Social Club and Lounge, 443 Burnet Avenue in Syracuse. We'll have live music from Perilous and 1.4.5., kibbitzing from your hosts Dana & Carl, a couple of readings from the book of Gabba Gabba Hey!, and the usual array of spectacular food and drink for your eager purchasing pleasure. AND! The club will have copies of Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones for sale right then and there. A limited number of tickets remain available at this writing, so hey-ho, let's GO! Gabba Gabba Hey! book release party tickets

AFTER THAT: my in-store at Parthenon Books is Thursday, May 18th from 6 to 8 pm. I have no idea what I'm doing, so that oughtta be entertaining. Parthenon is at 333 South Salina Street in Syracuse, and I am very much looking forward to being there. Parthenon is a great place, and I think this is gonna be a real cool time.

And I'm following that on Saturday, May 20th with a fun afternoon at Barnes & Noble in DeWitt, mere blocks from the former site of the now-razed nightclub where I saw my second Ramones show back in 1979. Precise time for the Barnes & Noble appearance is still being finalized, but it will be in the afternoon. 

And it's my goal to have something a little bit different to say at each of the above three events. So! If you want to attend ALL of them, well, that would not break my heart, and I'll try to keep it interesting for you. We'll start at the 443 this Saturday night. 

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Carl! You talk faster than the Ramones play. Got my copy and will be reading it in 2:20 minute segments. Good luck with your upcoming public appearances!

    ReplyDelete