Thursday, February 23, 2017

Blogkeeping




Quick updates on a few blog-related items:

My recent post about a proposed Syracuse Summer Salt Potato flavor for Lay's Potato Chips got a lot of attention, but that hasn't translated into all that much traction over at the Lay's site. So! If you're intrigued by the idea of this obviously-delicious hypothetical snack, go on over to Carl's Flavor Pantry and tell 'em, I'd Eat That! We thanks ya kindly!



I was talking with Steve Stoeckel the other day about--whaddaya think?--music. Steve is best known as a member of that fabulous pop group The Spongetones, and he's also currently in a great new combo called Pop Co-Op. We recently featured Pop Co-Op's debut album Four State Solution on This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, and you can download that epic show right now from Westcott Radio. I've taken to billing Four State Solution as "Your Favorite Album Of 2017," so yeah, I think you should buy a copy awready.

But anyway. Steve brought up the subject of albums that blew you away on first listen, records where every single track made you stand and shout Whoa!, with no duff tracks to distract from the buzz of your harmonic convergence. In addition to most everything by The Beatles, Steve mentioned Bookends by Simon & Garfunkel as the first such LP that came to his mind. He asked me what my choices would be; I've always been (and remain) a single-song guy rather than an album guy, but I thought of a couple of them nonetheless. Steve said I oughtta write about 'em.

All righty.

This new series will be called Love At First Spin, and it will cover albums that I just adored, start to finish, immediately upon first exposure. That would actually exclude some of my favorite albums; for example, both Pet Sounds and The Flamin' Groovies' Shake Some Action are all-time fave raves that had to grow on me before I commenced the appropriate level of awed worship. But there were a few that grabbed me from the get-go, and we'll be discussing them soon. The inaugural edition of Love At First Spin will run within the next week or two, and will likely begin with my favorite album of the 1980s: Drop Out With The Barracudas by The Barracudas.




1-2-3-4!

Another friend, the intrepid Dave Murray, suggested I write a piece about rock 'n' roll's all-time greatest count-ins. I'm not sure yet whether this will be a stand-alone post, or if I'll turn it into another series--probably the former, possibly the latter. The Ramones! Wilson Pickett! Bossman Bruce Springsteen! The Monkees! I've already revealed my pick for the all-time greatest count-in (Paul McCartney's transcendent 1-2-3-FAHHH! on "I Saw Her Standing There"), but there will be more to count down and count off when Count Me In appears in a near-future installment of Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do).




BTW: Go Orange.






I've been reminiscing about the DC 100-Page Super-Spectaculars, a fondly-remembered series of reprint comic books in the early '70s. I had planned to write a Comic Book Retrovision piece about my first Super Spec, but my enthusiasm for the subject matter will require me to expand that to at least three or four parts. Expect that to begin next week, maybe sooner.







My various other ongoing series--Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery, The Greatest Record Ever Made, WHAT IF? SO WHAT?, The Notebook Notions, The Everlasting First, maybe Batman's Degrees Of Separation, and eventually Singers, Superheroes, & Songs On The Radio--will continue. As my nearest and dearest wonder why I keep doing this without getting paid, I remind everyone that YOU--yes, YOU!--can help keep this blog going by becoming a Patron of Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do). For as little as $2 a month, patrons receive one bonus, private post each month. March's bonus post will be a fantasy about a Beatles reunion concert circa 1976. Wanna read it? Fund me, baby!



Comments? Questions? Fawning adoration? BRIBES, maybe? You know where to find me. I'm here every day.




You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 



No comments:

Post a Comment