Friday, June 30, 2017

Blogkeeping: THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO CD, a vinyl radio show, and other coming distractions



Time is the enemy at the moment, as I find myself trying to do a number of things all at once. Here's what's going on right now and in the near future within this Boppin' world.



Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 has hit a production delay that is slowing down...well, everything, but we still hope to have it available some time in July. It will be well worth the wait--it sounds terrific!--but I apologize for the snag nonetheless. Dana's working on the artwork, and should have a mock-up of the cover soon. For the final artwork, Dana is stuck waiting on my liner notes, but I can't get to them until next week. July 5th is my day to do them, and they will also be made available to my paid subscribers as July's bonus private post. (For as little as $2 a month, supporters of this blog receive a monthly bonus post, which is not available to the public until at least the following month. Wanna read an extra Boppin' ahead of the crowd?  Fund me, baby!)



Tomorrow's post here will be a piece called My 1970s. This is a retrospective of the then-contemporary music I listened to in the '70s, and it was previously available only to subscribers. It's a sequel of sorts to two previous pieces: a similar post about My 1960s, and a recollection of albums that affected me as a teen in the '70s (which I cleverly titled Teenage Wasteland). Tomorrow's post will largely ignore albums and concentrate on individual songs I heard on WOLF-AM, WNDR-AMWOUR-FM, college radio, TV shows, and stuff I hunted down after reading some kind of intriguing hype in Phonograph Record Magazine.



On this week's This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl, Dana's taking the night off. Rather than fumble with the usual CDs for a solo show, I'm going to prerecord what is only our second-ever ALL-VINYL SHOW. The prerecording is a matter of necessary convenience: there's only one turntable in the cramped li'l closet we laughingly call the Westcott Radio studio, which makes vinyl-to-vinyl segues a practical no-no. So instead, I'm selecting tracks from the LPs and 45s I have at home, making analogue copies (in mono) on to mini-disc, and bringing those discs in to Westcott Radio to play on Sunday night. The show is about two-thirds done now, with music from The Beatles, The Kinks, James Brown, The MC5, Prince and the Revolution, and many more, from the '50s through 2017. With one notable exception, I'm avoiding LPs and 45s that I used in our previous All-Vinyl Edition in April (which you can still listen to here). That exception will open this week's show, and I hope you can join me: Sunday night, 9 to Midnight Eastern, www.westcottradio.org. The vinyl spins HERE!




As we announced on Thursday, The Ohms will be on the bill for The Flashcubes' 40th anniversary live show at Funk 'n Waffles in Syracuse on Friday, September 1st. Your hosts are Dana & Carl, and we'll be presiding over an unforgettable night of live rock 'n' roll, with The Ohms, The Trend, Maura & the Bright Lights, and TWO exciting sets from your four-decade fave raves, The Flashcubes. I fully expect a sellout, so I will announce ticket information as soon as it's available.



A number of posts are in various stages of not-quite-ready, including the ninth and (presumably) concluding chapter of Comic Book Retroview's reminiscence of DC Comics' 100-Page Super Spectaculars, the third edition of Batman's Degrees Of Separation (which links our Caped Crusader to such worthies as Raquel Welch, Nat King Cole, and Veronica Mars, and such unworthies as Charles Manson), and a piece on my 20 favorite Monkees songs. The Everlasting First will resume eventually with O is for The Ohio Express, though I reserve the right to change that if I decide to write about something else instead. 

And more? Always! A post a day, every day--that's the Boppin' way.






No comments:

Post a Comment