Tuesday, September 5, 2017

125,000 and counting



As of Monday, Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) has now somehow attracted more than 125,000 views. I remain aware of how modest that number is on any real-world scale, but I'm still proud of it. I launched this blog on January 18th of 2016, fueled by my need to tell people how I felt when David Bowie died. There's been at least one post every day since then, and daily posts will continue as long as I retain the illusion that I have something to say, and as long as I can muster the will to say it. I appreciate everyone who stops by to visit my little corner of the internet, and I aim to always have something here for you, each and every day of the year.

The last couple of months have been a flurry of activity. Between shepherding our compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 into being and hyping The Flashcubes' recent 40th anniversary show, I feel like I've been on the go constantly. The 30-part track-by-track annotation for TIRnRR # 4 was a lot of work, but it also forced me to focus on completing (almost) a chapter a day. It was a challenge in a sense, but also a comfort because I knew exactly what I had to write about each day. It was exhilarating, and I hope those who missed it feel inspired to check it out in all its massive splendor: TIRnRR # 4, Track By Track

(Oh, and please buy the CD already: This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4. You know how some records go gold or platinum? TIRnRR # 4 ain't even poised to go playdough. It's a great CD, and we're proud and pleased to have done it, but we have a long way to go before we break even, let alone raise any money for our radio station. If you have TIRnRR # 4 and like it, please recommend it to all of your friends.)

I want to write something about that above-mentioned 40th anniversary Flashcubes show, which was such a great time and in need of some extended wordifyin' to document it. I hope to get to that either this week or next. I'm also toying with writing a couple of reviews, which is something I generally don't do anymore (the one recent exception being last year's review of Good Times! by The Monkees). But I think I want to at least review the new 2-CD set Flashcubes Forever. Gotta think about that for a bit before committing.

In October or maybe November, I'll be starting a new series called The Best Of Everything, which is a celebration of greatest-hits sets. My subscribers on Patreon will get a jump on everyone else with the introductory post in this series, which is September's private post for patrons only. That post will be made public when I begin the series itself, either next month or the month after.

The Best Of Everything will be a similar format to my current ongoing series Rescued From The Budget Bin!, Groove Gratitude, and Love At First Spin, each of which discusses individual albums and their relevance to me. All of these series will continue.

Comic Book Retroview will also continue. Although this is mostly a music blog, I guess, Comic Book Retroview gives me an opportunity to talk about old comic books, a subject as near 'n' dear to me as The Beatles and The Ramones. Near-future candidates for discussion in this series include DC Special and the concept of a shared DC-Marvel universe.

I've begun the next chapter in The Everlasting First, the A-Z reminiscence of my introductions to various singing groups and comic-book characters. When it's ready, the series will resume with O is for The Ohio Express.

Also continuing: The Greatest Record Ever Made, Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery, Batman's Degrees Of Separation, and maybe my autobiography Singers, Superheroes, & Songs On The Radio. That latter series made its way through the 1960s, and then more or less covered the period from late 1982 through 1987 in The Road To Goldmine, skipping over the '70s and early '80s. I've been reassessing my past, freed from some of its shackles simply by the act of deciding to attend my 40th anniversary high school reunion a couple of months ago. I've been resistant to the idea of writing about my life in the '70s (though the '80s were worse, and I've already covered that). I think I might be nearly ready to address the Me Decade now. It's done when it's done. Similar introspective archive-dives are still a possibility if I continue The Notebook Notions looks back at the ideas I jotted down in notebooks when I was a teenaged wannabe writer, and old, dead projects are still potential fodder for Unfinished And Abandoned.

I will also be following up my summertime post about My 25 favorite Beatles tracks with a similar piece about my favorite Monkees recordings, and possibly (probably) similar pieces on The Flashcubes, The Ramones, and others. For now, I'm pulling the plug on WHAT IF? SO WHAT? (reprising the journal I kept for my Fantasy & Science Fiction class as a college senior in 1979) and Lights! Camera! REACTION! (my series on movies).

I don't get much response for my attempts at fiction. Nonetheless, I'll probably still try to make some stuff up and hope someone finds it entertaining. Superhero pulp writing is just plain fun to do, so I hope the reader will put up with my attempts. To the Batpoles!

What else? As always, it remains to be seen. Each day. Every day. And I thank you again for making Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) a part of any of your days. 125,000 views can't be wrong.

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Heh. These are the top images that came up on a Google search for Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do):
















No comments:

Post a Comment