Thursday, September 21, 2017

TWO SHOTS: Fave Raves (And Companion Nuggets)



I love a lot of pop songs. This is a list of my all-time favorite tracks by each of a number of my Fave Rave artists. For kicks, each favorite track is then followed by a deeper track that I also love; not necessarily my second-favorite track by the artist, but a lesser-known treat I think worthy of wider love 'n' affection. Some so-called "deep tracks" will be far less obscure than others; really, referring to some of these as a deep track is like calling The Beatles an underground act. On the other hand, some of my # 1 picks are pretty obscure themselves, including a Bay City Rollers album track, fercryinoutloud. Hell, my favorite track by The Bobby Fuller Four is neither the group's fabulous lone smash hit "I Fought The Law" nor their regional hit/acknowledged classic "Let Her Dance," but a deeper cut virtually tied with another deep cut as my top BF4 record. My favorite Cowsills track is not one of their hits, but a track from their criminally-underrated '90s album Global. I prefer an album track by Johnny Thunders' combo The Heartbreakers even to their better-known "Chinese Rocks." On the other hand, there were many acts (Earth, Wind & Fire for one) where I only know and love the hits, so I didn't list them here at all. Still, you get the idea, I betcha.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a blog series based on this idea, with each post an annotated entry expounding on individual tracks (and deeper buried treasure) by specific artists. For now, though, it's just a list.

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here.


ABBA: Does Your Mother Know; So Long
THE ANIMALS: It's My Life; Bury My Body
THE ARCHIES: Jingle Jangle; She's Putting Me Through Changes
BADFINGER: Baby Blue; I'll Be The One
THE BANGLES: Going Down To Liverpool; Silent Treatment
THE BAY CITY ROLLERS: Wouldn't You Like It; "85"
THE BEACH BOYS: God Only Knows; Farmer's Daughter
THE BEATLES: Rain; The Night Before
CHUCK BERRY: Promised Land; All Aboard
BIG STAR: September Gurls; Turn My Back On The Sun
BLONDIE: (I'm Always Touched By Your) Presence, Dear; Rifle Range
DAVID BOWIE: Life On Mars?; Can't Help Thinking About Me
THE BYRDS: My Back Pages; You Movin'
CHEAP TRICK: Surrender; I Know What I Want
THE DAVE CLARK FIVE: Any Way You Want It; Don't You Realize
PAUL COLLINS: Walking Out On Love; She Doesn't Want To Hang Around With You
THE COWSILLS: She Said To Me; All I Really Wanta Be Is Me
DEVO: Uncontrollable Urge; Social Fools
THE DRIFTERS: On Broadway; Only In America
THE EASYBEATS: Sorry; Made My Bed (Gonna Lie In It)
THE EVERLY BROTHERS: Gone, Gone, Gone; Man With Money
THE FLAMIN' GROOVIES: First Plane Home; Step Up
THE FLASHCUBES: No Promise; A Face In The Crowd
THE FLESHTONES: American Beat '84; Way Down South
THE BOBBY FULLER FOUR: Another Sad And Lonely Night; Fool Of Love
THE GO-GO'S: We Got The Beat; La La Land
LESLEY GORE: California Nights; Off And Running
THE GRASS ROOTS: Things I Should Have Said; You're A Lonely Girl
THE GRATEFUL DEAD: Uncle John's Band; Cream Puff War
GEORGE HARRISON: What Is Life; I Don't Want To Do It
THE HEARTBREAKERS: I Love You; One Track Mind
HERMAN'S HERMITS: No Milk Today; You Won't Be Leaving
THE HOLLIES: I Can't Let Go; You Need Love
THE HOODOO GURUS: Bittersweet; Sour Grapes
THE ISLEY BROTHERS: Summer Breeze; Why When Love Is Gone
JOE JACKSON: I'm The Man; Awkward Age
THE JAM: In The City; Tonight At Noon
JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS: Love Is Pain; Eye To Eye
THE KINKS: You Really Got Me; No More Looking Back
KISS: Shout It Out Loud; Anything For My Baby
THE KNACK: Your Number Or Your Name; Smilin'
THE KNICKERBOCKERS: Lies; They Ran For Their Lives
GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS: Midnight Train To Georgia; Here Are The Pieces Of My Broken Heart
LED ZEPPELIN: Communication Breakdown; Ozone Baby
THE LEFT BANKE: Walk Away, Renee; I've Got Something On My Mind
JOHN LENNON: Instant Karma! (We All Shine On); Dear Yoko
LITTLE RICHARD: The Girl Can't Help It; Greenwood, Mississippi
PAUL McCARTNEY: Maybe I'm Amazed; Not Such A Bad Boy
THE MONKEES: Porpoise Song (Theme From "Head"); Terrifying
THE NEW YORK DOLLS: Personality Crisis; It's Too Late
THE OHIO EXPRESS: Beg, Borrow And Steal; Had To Be Me
THE PANDORAS: It's About Time; I Walk Away
THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY: I Woke Up In Love This Morning; Somebody Wants To Love You
WILSON PICKETT: In The Midnight Hour; Sugar Sugar
GENE PITNEY: Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa; Louisiana Mama
PRINCE: When You Were Mine; I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
SUZI QUATRO: Tear Me Apart; Love Is Ready
R.E.M.: Radio Free Europe; Burning Hell
THE RAMONES: Blitzkrieg Bop; Babysitter
THE RASPBERRIES: I Wanna Be With You; Last Dance
THE RECORDS: Hearts Will Be Broken; Paint Her Face
OTIS REDDING: (Sittin' On The) Dock Of The Bay; Pounds & Hundreds
PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS: Him Or Me--What's It Gonna Be?; Time After Time
SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES: The Tears Of A Clown; Come Spy With Me
THE ROLLING STONES: Paint It, Black; Empty Heart
THE ROMANTICS: Little White Lies; Open Up Your Door
THE RUBINOOS: I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend; Nowheresville
THE RUNAWAYS: School Days; C'mon
THE SEARCHERS: Hearts In Her Eyes; Umbrella Man
THE SEX PISTOLS: God Save The Queen; Did You No Wrong
SHOES: Tomorrow Night; I Miss You
SLADE: Gudbuy T' Jane; Do We Still Do It
SLY & THE FAMILY STONE: Everybody Is A Star; Underdog
THE SMITHEREENS: Sorry; Got Me A Girl
THE SPINNERS: I'll Be There; My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me)
THE SPONGETONES: (My Girl) Maryanne; Anna
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN: Girls In Their Summer Clothes; Candy's Room
RINGO STARR: It Don't Come Easy; Weight Of The World
THE TURTLES: Love In The City; It Was A Very Good Year
THE VOGUES: Five O'Clock World; Lovers Of The World Unite
THE WHO: I Can't Explain; The Punk And The Godfather
STEVIE WONDER: Uptight (Everything's Alright); I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)
THE YARDBIRDS: Heart Full Of Soul; Evil-Hearted You

Turn. It. UP!!






No comments:

Post a Comment