Friday, September 29, 2017

Fake THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO Playlist: My 1960s and '70s...IN THE '80s!




Just as I continued to learn more about the music of the 1960s when I was a pre-teen and teen in the '70s, I continued to expand my knowledge of both '60s and '70s rockin' pop as a twenty-something throughout the 1980s. Today's fake This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio playlist is evenly split between tracks from the '60s and tracks from the '70s, but they're all tracks I learned to love while making my way through the 1980s.

My individual paths to these tracks varied. Neighbors played their copy of Otis Redding's Live In Europe when lovely girlfriend Brenda and I had dinner at their apartment one evening. I saw James Brown on Late Night With David Letterman.  A co-worker gave me a beat-up old copy of The Yardbirds' Having A Rave-Up album. Rock journalist and record store proprietor Gary Sperrazza! played an unbelievably great track by The Ohio Express while DJing at a Buffalo nightclub. I snagged an old Wilson Pickett 45 at a basement rummage sale, and a single and LP by The Ugly Ducklings at stores on Toronto's Yonge Street. I acquired a copy of The Monkees' 1970 album Changes, and received a visit from the local police when my downstairs neighbor complained I was playing it too loud. I left cash in record store registers in exchange for new, cutout, or used LPs with titles like Raw Power, The Velvet Underground & Nico, LoadedLove Revisited, Jumpin' In The Night, Back In The USA, Sticky Fingers, Aladdin Sane, The Best Of The Bobby Fuller Four, The Temptations' Anthology, and L.A.M.F, and a glorious cassette called Golden Hour Of The Kinks. Plus various-artists sets a-plenty, including label retrospectives from Motown, Bomp!, and Bell UK, and '60s deep-dive series like Nuggets and Pebbles. There was always so much more to discover, from the past and the present alike. That is still true today. It will always be true. Please enjoy this virtual spin of what I discovered in the '80s about the '60s and '70s.

TOMORROW: One last bit of fakery (for now), with My 1980s!

NEXT WEEK: This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio returns for real on Sunday, October 1st, with the 2017 edition of DANA'S FUNKY SOUL PIT! This is what rock 'n' roll radio didn't sound like on a Sunday night in Syracuse this week.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl streams every...um, MOST Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern at www.westcottradio.org

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here.

FAKE TIRnRR: My 1960s and '70s...IN THE '80s!

HACKAMORE BRICK: Radio
--
THE OHIO EXPRESS: Beg, Borrow And Steal
IGGY & THE STOOGES: Search And Destroy
OTIS REDDING: Satisfaction
MOTT THE HOOPLE: All The Way From Memphis
THE ELECTRIC PRUNES: Everybody Knows You're Not In Love
DOLENZ, JONES, BOYCE & HART: You Didn't Feel That Way Last Night (Don't You Remember)
--
THE ROLLERS: Who'll Be My Keeper
THE VELVET UNDERGROUND: I'll Be Your Mirror
THE MODERN LOVERS: Hospital
THE MIRACLES: Going To A Go-Go
THE FLAMIN' GROOVIES: First Plane Home
THE DRIFTERS: Sweets For My Sweet
--
LOVE: 7 And 7 Is
THE ROLLING STONES: Dead Flowers
THE UGLY DUCKLINGS: Nothing
DAVID BOWIE: Panic In Detroit
SPIRIT: 1984
BLUE CHEER: Summertime Blues
--
THE MONKEES: Oh My My
THE YARDBIRDS: Evil-Hearted You
LED ZEPPELIN: The Ocean
WILSON PICKETT: Hey Jude
ROXY MUSIC: Virginia Plain
THE ISLEY BROTHERS: This Old Heart Of Mine
--
THE BOBBY FULLER FOUR: Fool Of Love
JAMES BROWN: Get Up I Feel Like Being Like A Sex Machine (Part 1)
THE IDES OF MARCH: Roller Coaster
AEROSMITH: Sick As A Dog
THE MERRY-GO-ROUND: Live
THE HEARTBREAKERS: Born To Lose
--
HELLO: New York Groove
THE KINKS: Animal Farm
GREG KIHN: Hurt So Bad
JAMES BROWN: Cold Sweat (Part 1)
THE NEW YORK DOLLS: It's Too Late
THE EQUALS: Baby Come Back
--
THE HOLLIES: Yes I Will
ARTFUL DODGER: It's Not Enough
THE CONTOURS: Do You Love Me
JOHN LENNON: Gimme Some Truth
THE LOLLIPOP SHOPPE: You Must Be A Witch
THE VELVET UNDERGROUND: Rock And Roll
--
THE MC5: Shakin' Street
THE CHOCOLATE WATCHBAND: Are You Gonna Be There (At The Love-In)
THE DICTATORS: Baby, Let's Twist
THE MONKEES: You And I
NEIL YOUNG: Cinnamon Girl
EDWIN STARR: War
--
THE SONICS: Strychnine
IGGY & THE STOOGES: I Got A Right!
THE EASYBEATS: Sorry
THE WACKERS: Captain Nemo
THE TEMPTATIONS: Cloud Nine
MARCUS HOOK ROLL BAND: Natural Man
THE VENTURES: Walk--Don't Run

No comments:

Post a Comment