Thursday, September 28, 2017

Fake THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO Playlist: My 1970s



Another day, another absolutely phony This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio playlist. This time, we take a deep plunge into My 1970s, a playlist of then-contemporary tracks I deemed far-out 'n' happening as a pre-teen and teen in the '70s. These are records I heard on AM radio and FM radio, songs I saw lip-synced or performed live on TV shows ranging from The Mike Douglas Show to Midnight Special to the UK import Supersonic (affording me my first video glimpse of the divinely enticing Suzi Quatro), stuff I sought out after reading about it in Phonograph Record Magazine, LPs and 45s I acquired, and (at the time) the only two singles released by a local rock 'n' roll band called The Flashcubes, whom I saw live and declared God.

There is, perhaps, a willful revisionism at work here. Certainly, I listened to many, many acts in the '70s that are not represented at all in this playlist. Chicago. Jim Croce. Jethro Tull. Kansas. Boston. Manfred Mann's freakin' Earth Band. I even liked one Rush song (and, if I wasn't already involved with someone else when I met a very cute Rush fan in college, I woulda become a Rush fan myself pretty damned quick). But the playlist is designed as if it were an actual TIRnRR show, so it omits many artists who might not fit the feel in the moment. While it's always possible that we could still play any of these acts at any given time, I didn't want to pull something by The Ramones or KISS or my lone 1970s Monkees track to make room for Emerson, Lake & Palmer. It's bad enough that I had to leave out Television and The Edgar Winter Group. Nonetheless, I readily admit that all of the above, and all of the below, plus others from Deep Purple to John Denver, were indeed also a part of my 1970s. Here's a somewhat representative spin of my own Me Decade.

TOMORROW: More fakery, with My 1960s and '70s...IN THE '80s!

ON SUNDAY: This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio returns for real on Sunday, October 1st, with the 2017 edition of DANA'S FUNKY SOUL PIT! This is what rock 'n' roll radio didn't sound like on a Sunday night in Syracuse this week.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl streams every...um, MOST Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern at www.westcottradio.org

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here.

FAKE TIRnRR: My 1970s

THE FLASHCUBES: Radio
--
BADFINGER: Baby Blue
THE RASPBERRIES: I Wanna Be With You
JOHNNY NASH: I Can See Clearly Now
THE HOLLIES: Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress
CURTIS MAYFIELD: Superfly
THE JAM: In The City
--
PAUL McCARTNEY & WINGS: Live And Let Die
ISAAC HAYES: Theme From Shaft
NAZARETH: Love Hurts
SWEET: Blockbuster
SLADE: Gudbuy T' Jane
THE SEX PISTOLS: God Save The Queen
--
THE FLASHCUBES: Christi Girl
THE RUBINOOS: Wouldn't It Be Nice
THE BAY CITY ROLLERS: Wouldn't You Like It
THE SPINNERS: I'll Be Around
ELTON JOHN: Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
JOHN LENNON: Whatever Gets You Thru The Night
--
THE RAMONES: Sheena Is A Punk Rocker
WAR: Why Can't We Be Friends
DAWN: Knock Three Times
KISS: Calling Dr. Love
ALICE COOPER: School's Out
SUZI QUATRO: I May Be Too Young
--
THE RASPBERRIES: Tonight
DAVID BOWIE: Suffragette City
NICK LOWE: So It Goes
RINGO STARR: Photograph
THE FLAMIN' GROOVIES: Shake Some Action
SIMON & GARFUNKEL: My Little Town
--
THE RUNAWAYS: Cherry Bomb
STARZ: Cherry Baby
EDDIE & THE HOT RODS: Do Anything You Wanna Do
TODD RUNDGREN: Couldn't I Just Tell You
THE POLICE: Roxanne
THE ISLEY BROTHERS: Fight The Power Part 1
--
BLONDIE: X-Offender
BADFINGER: Day After Day
THE JACKSON FIVE: I'll Be There
THE MONKEES: I Never Thought It Peculiar
ELVIS COSTELLO: Watching The Detectives
THE ROLLING STONES: Happy
--
FLEETWOOD MAC: Go Your Own Way
THE PATTI SMITH GROUP: Because The Night
THE KINKS: No More Looking Back
GEORGE HARRISON: What Is Life
TINA TURNER: Acid Queen
THE O'JAYS: Love Train
--
THE RAMONES: Blitzkrieg Bop
SWEET: Ballroom Blitz
THE FLASHCUBES: Wait Till Next Week
KISS: Shout It Out Loud
THE RASPBERRIES: Go All The Way
BADFINGER: No Matter What
MFSB: TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia)

No comments:

Post a Comment