Tuesday, May 15, 2018

100-Page FAKES! presents: ADVENTURE COMICS # 435

100-Page FAKES! imagines mid-1970s DC 100-Page Super Spectaculars that never were...but should have been!





At the conclusion of my nine-part reminiscence of DC's 100-Page Super Spectaculars last year, I mentioned that I'd had a notion of slapping together some Super Specs that never were. I finally got around to doing that very thing. Editor Joe Orlando's run on Adventure Comics was one of my favorite comic books when I was 13 to 14 years old, so I've expanded Adventure Comics # 435 (September-October 1974) to the 100-page format, adding reprints and duplicating ads found in the 100-page Batman # 258 that was published that same month.

Legitimate copyright concerns prevent us from sharing the entire 100-pager publicly (though my patrons will get to see the whole thing) . But I wanted to show some representation of it, so I'm including just the first page of each story. The Spy Smasher and Kid Eternity stories are now in the public domain, so those I can share.

As is evident here, I'm not a Photoshopper. If I were, I would have altered the original cover of Adventure Comics # 435 to make it a 60-cent Super Spectacular, and I would have altered the cover image of The Spectre # 9 (included here as a placeholder) into a Table Of Contents like all the real Super Specs had at the time. Use your imagination, or create your own Photoshop alternative. (And if you do the latter, I'd love to see your result.)

Both The Spectre in "The Man Who Stalked The Spectre" and Aquaman in "As The Undersea City Sleeps" are from the genuine Adventure Comics # 435. As for the reprints:

Nightmaster in "Some Forbidden Fate" is from Showcase # 82 (May, 1969)
Robin The Boy Wonder in "The Campaign Crooks!" is from Star-Spangled Comics # 101 (February, 1950)
Spy Smasher in "Hunt For Hitler!" is from Spy Smasher # 10 (January, 1943)
Kid Eternity is from Kid Eternity # 16 (July, 1949)
"Shadow Show" is from The Spectre # 9 (March-April, 1969)

Entire contents copyright DC Comics Inc.  This was a fun exercise, and I hope you enjoy this glimpse of what might have been.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. 













No comments:

Post a Comment