Thursday, March 19, 2020

The Right Thing, And How To Do It* [*as if I had a clue]



I can't speak for you, but I don't have any previous practice in what to do during a pandemic.

I am not in a position to complain. Unlike so many others, I'm still working, my regular daily schedule so far unaffected by the repercussions of COVID-19. The only effects I've encountered are the minor inconveniences, the shortages of supplies at the grocery store, the cutback (and now elimination) of social gatherings, the shuttering of venues, dining rooms, and theaters. These are little annoyances in my life, minuscule in scale compared to those whose livelihoods have been disrupted, who aren't sure if they'll have a way to pay their bills and feed their families. And that's not even considering those directly impacted by the virus itself. No, I am not in a position to complain.

Both my wife and my daughter work jobs where their near-future paychecks may not be guaranteed. And if the needs of public health demand that more businesses must temporarily close in order to flatten the curve, to contain the spread of these damned infectious cooties, then my retail job is at risk, too. The shopping malls in the Syracuse area have already closed until further notice, and the time may be coming very soon for mom-and-pop stores to follow suit. But I am not in a position to complain.

A friend of mine, a co-worker, is of an age and physical condition that makes him extremely vulnerable to what this virus can do; he is self-quarantined. Another friend of mine is sick, and awaiting test results, while we all pray for the best. Nursing homes are closed to visitors, so my Mom is separated from family for the foreseeable future. And me? I'm 60 years old, I've had a nagging cough for nearly a month, but no other symptoms. I'm not in a position to complain.

Like all of us (or at least I hope so), I'm doing the best I can to be responsible. I've always been diligent about washing my hands, so that's nothing new. I Dracula-cough into my sleeve, wash my hands, avoid direct contact, wash my hands, hydrate, wash my hands, wash my hands, wash my hands. By the way, if you like to sing as you soap up, AC/DC's "Highway To Hell" works as a perfectly acceptable alternative to "Happy Birthday." No reason to complain.

My cupboards at home are adequately stocked. I have toilet paper, Zinc tablets, orange juice, food, drink. Beer. I patronize the stores that are open, order take-out meals when I can. I do not hoard. I allow space for people around me. I may have mentioned that I wash my hands, constantly. I don't have time to complain.

I've seen online posts from pals with opposing viewpoints, one stressing the need for everyone to just stay home for the greater good, the other warning that our freedoms are being taken from us. I'm sympathetic to the former, dismissive of the latter, but choosing a middle ground for now. I have a commitment and expectation to go to work each day, for as long as I'm healthy and for as long as I have a job to go to. While I'm out, I try to inject my tiny bit of spending money into the local economy, buying my comic books, grabbing drive-thru, whatever. I'm trying to do the right thing. Whatever that is. I can't complain.

I have a naive confidence that this will pass, none too soon, but eventually. I acknowledge that it will almost certainly get worse before it gets better. But it will get better. We just have to get through it, responsibly, as members of a community, as good people that care for one another. Good people outnumber bad people. And we have God on our side. Doing the right thing is its own reward. No complaints there.


TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!
You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Hey, Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) will contain 124 essays about 124 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1).

1 comment:

  1. There are two distinct reactions. Do The Right Thing. Do The Wong Thing. The Wrong things get the press. The Right Things help. Recognize the good things. BE a good thing. While the Wrong Things get the press, There are more Right Things, no matter what anyone is telling you.

    ReplyDelete