Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Exit 100-PAGE FAKES!, Enter SPECTACULAR COMICS 100-PAGE SPECIALS



100-Page FAKES!, my series of fabrications imaging DC Comics 1970s 100-Page Super Spectaculars that never were, has posted its final edition. It will be replaced by a similar new series called Spectacular Comics 100-Page Special. I’ll explain the slight differences in a moment.

Although 100-Page FAKES! has been a consistently popular feature on this blog, some recent factors and decisions impacted its future. The biggest thing was my decision to scuttle my digital comics library. This archive was too large and took up too much space on my computer; the sudden need to replace that computer signaled a good time for me to move on from that collection. I retained about 1200 comic books on my iPad for my own enjoyment, but I no longer have any digital comics accessible for use in future blog posts.

With this move, I originally planned to discontinue further 100-page fabrications outright. But then I started thinking: I could still do a few, maybe one a month, assembled from scans of comics in my physical collection, supplemented wherever I wish by pages from public domain comics on the web. That would continue the ersatz Super Specs for those who dig them.



But they will no longer be limited to expansions of real-life ‘70s DC books. In fact, they won’t be limited to DC at all (though I am a DC guy, so DC material will still probably dominate). To illustrate the slight separation from DC’s 100-Page Super Spectaculars, a change in title seemed appropriate. So, watch this space for the first issue of Spectacular Comics 100-Page Special, coming soon,

There are a few important things to note. Hey! Let’s give that list its own heading!

IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE:

1. If you wish to see all of these monthly issues of Spectacular Comics, it would be a really good idea to sign up to follow this blog. That’s free, and it's the only way to know for sure when each new issue has been posted. Why?

2. Because these will not necessarily be all DC Comics. And that means there will be many issues I can’t share on my usual DC-centric Facebook groups. That’s as it should be; a group dedicated specifically to DC Comics can’t be expected to put up with me posting links to, say, Gold Key Comics hero Dr. Solar, Man of the Atom, or Charlton’s E-Man, or Archie’s Mighty Comics characters, or the mighty Marvel Comics, even if I do mix it all up with Metal Men and Metamorpho. That wouldn’t be fair.

3. As with all previous public postings of 100-Page FAKES!, public postings of Spectacular Comics will consist of sample pages only. I will continue to share the complete stories with my subscribers. A subscription to this blog costs $2 a month, billed monthly, and you can sign up RIGHT HERE!!

That covers most of it. I am switching the format just a tiny bit; where the page counts of the 100-Page FAKES! varied (depending upon where the original fell in DC’s publication timeline), each issue of Spectacular Comics will follow the no-ads 100-page format of the first wave of the original Super Specs. Since I won’t be doing covers (which counted as four pages out of DC’s 100), that means 96 pages of content each issue, each month, for subscribers, and a cool representative package for those who just wanna check in and imagine such a book really existed.



It starts this month with Spectacular Comics 100-Page Special # 1. That one is gonna be all DC Comics material, including a Superman story from the late’60s and an absolutely wonderful story called “Captain Spaceman Will Be Waiting,” from an early ‘80s issue of Weird War Tales. Spectacular? I hope so. And I hope you’ll join me.

BUT FIRST! Tomorrow, we gather links to all of the published 100-Page FAKES!




TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!
You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Hey, Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) will contain 124 essays about 124 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment