Saturday, January 1, 2022

Writing Books In 2021

As I've noted a time or a zillion in previous posts, I've had a dream of writing books, and I've had that dream for a very long time. I've made a number of ultimately abortive attempts over the years, but never quite got there.

In 2019, I made a personal commitment to write a book called The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). I secured an agent, crafted a book proposal, and worked at getting it done. External forces scuttled that plan, as I found myself without an agent, and with no clear path to publication. Nonetheless, I continued to work on the book, even as I tried to figure out what to do next.

In the mean time, though, I decided in 2021 to go back to an older book project. For that book, I was able to speak directly with an interested publisher; we agreed to terms, and that book is tentatively scheduled for publication in late 2022. My first book! I still can't talk about it, but its draft is done, just awaiting further movement behind the curtain. While I'm aware that everything could go up in flames before the book becomes a book, I am confident that it's moving in the right direction.

Throughout the process of preparing that book, I never stopped working on GREM! I continued crafting its chapters, tweaking its scope and its Table of Contents. Late in the year, I challenged myself to see if I could achieve a completed first draft of GREM! before 2021 was consigned to the dustbin 2021 deserves. With that, I would have been able to say I finished writing two books in one year. Yeah, baby! 

I fell short of that goal, but not by much. When the stroke of Midnight kicked 2021 aside, GREM! was a mere four chapters shy of a completed first draft. As I write this now, it's only two chapters shy of a completed first draft. The finished chapters total just under 153,000 words. The book is, at long last, nearly done.

I need an agent. I'll be working on that soon. And I'll be posting an updated Table of Contents for The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1), probably within a few days. I hope to be able to tell you more about it, and my other book, as 2022 settles in and orders its beverages. A happy new year? I sure hope so.

TIP THE BLOGGERCC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment