Saturday, March 12, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! Emitt Rhodes, "Fresh As A Daisy"

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post comes from the files of The Greatest Record Ever Made!, this time celebrating "Fresh As A Daisy" by Emitt Rhodes.

An infinite number of tracks can each be THE greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. This piece was intended for my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1), but is not currently a part of that project. If there's ever a Volume 2 (presuming we can get to an actual Volume 1 some day), ol' Emitt will be a likely candidate for that. I spent much of yesterday doing another edit of the GREM! book, but there's still quite a bit more editing to be done. I don't mind that at all, and it makes the work stronger. I still may divide the existing manuscript into a Volume 1 and Volume 2 (which would then return "Fresh As A Daisy" to the larger line-up), but I'm focusing first on tightening up what I have. As noted previously, a publisher has agreed to give the book a courtesy look, though that's really more of a nod to work I've already done for the company on a different project. It would be a mistake to get my hopes up, but there is at least cautious cause for hope. For now.

The abandoned 1993 power pop book project mentioned in the Emitt Rhodes piece was to be called Shake Some Action, and its story is told here. In other book news, I'm poking at the idea of self-publishing a book of my short stories, but I have not yet made a decision about that. I've had to remain coy about the subject matter of the book I do have coming out (fingers crossed) by the end of this year; I will reveal that the first word in that book's title is "G****." Er...I will partially reveal that the first word in that book's title is "G****." Also the second word. Third word is different. That's all I have for you now. Some of you have guessed it already.

Meanwhile, here's an example of the sort of thing I'm doing for a different book. A proclamation of Emitt Rhodes' "Fresh As A Daisy" as The Greatest Record Ever Made! serves as the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment