Wednesday, March 16, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA! The Bay City Rollers' Rollermania: A Hard D-A-Y's Night


Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my look back at a Scottish pop sensation hyped in the '70s as the next Beatles: "The Bay City Rollers' "Rollermania: A Hard D-A-Y's Night."

Waaaaay back in 1987, the original version of this essay was my first feature article for Goldmine magazine. I had already sold some reviews to GM prior to that, kicking off my 20-year stint as a Goldmine freelancer, 1986-2006. I told that story in The Road To GOLDMINE, which is among my very favorite pieces. Something else that I wrote during my affiliation with Goldmine is in the process of being expanded and renovated for a fresh like-new view; details on that coming eventually.

I've always been stubbornly unapologetic regarding my affection for some of the Bay City Rollers' music. Their hit "Rock And Roll Love Letter" earns a chapter in my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1), for which I also made a video rant wherein I butcher the pronunciation of lead singer Les McKeown's last name. Oops. I wrote a fantasy about a Bay City Rollers movie, the group earned a mention in my lengthy history of power pop, and I wrote a capsule appreciation of the post-fame Rollers album Elevator. When McKeown passed last April, I collected some of my scattered thoughts about various Rollers tracks under the title "Les McKeown (1955-2021: The Voice Of The Bay City Rollers."

I like the Bay City Rollers. The Rollers were the subject of my first feature article for a magazine that meant a lot to my development as a writer, and today they're the subject of the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment