Saturday, March 5, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! Fontella Bass, "Rescue Me"

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is another chapter from the ongoing saga of The Greatest Record Ever Made!, this time celebrating "Rescue Me" by Fontella Bass.

Most of my recent posts regarding my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) have been kinda pessimistic. I've been working on this thing for a few years now, and my initial era of good feeling--starting to write the book, receiving encouragement from friends, securing an agent--gave way to diminished warmth and insufficient fuzzies. I lost my agent. I lost sight of a path forward. I believe there was some sort of pandemic in there, too. About a month ago, I took a swing for the fences and submitted the idea to a publisher; it was, alas, a swing and a miss. It depressed me to think that this book had no plausible path forward.

But I haven't given up on it. I'm proud of this thing, and I want you to be able to read it. I've been tweaking a slightly shorter version of the book, moving a bunch of its songs to a (very) hypothetical Volume 2. This week, a publisher agreed to give the project a look. I sense that it's really a courtesy look, granted because of other work I've done, so it remains a long shot. Still, it's something. The GREM! book ain't quite dead yet.

(And this week I also signed the agreement for the other as-yet unnamed book I finished writing in 2021. After years of appearing in other writer's books, this will be my first book. I'll tell you more about it as soon as its publisher says I can.)

But for today, we go back to the magic pop year of 1965, and an incredible hit from an incredible, underrated one-hit wonder named Fontella Bass. A Greatest Record Ever Made! spotlight on "Rescue Me" is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment