Wednesday, May 11, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! Blue Öyster Cult, "This Ain't The Summer Of Love"

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my Greatest Record Ever Made! spotlight on "This Ain't The Summer Of Love" by Blue Öyster Cult.

This piece was never intended for my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1), in part because of its overlap with the book's chapter about "Kim The Waitress" by Material Issue. Both pieces spring from my memory of a traumatic day in 1979, a lingering ache that also influenced my liner-note essays for the Flashcubes' Bright Lights and Flashcubes On Fire, my obituary of Joey Ramone, and a short story called "Dreaming Deadly." I sometimes feel guilty for writing about it, like I'm trying to wring a benefit out of tragedy. But that day stays with me. That memory stays with me. I have to write about it. It's not exactly cathartic...but it's necessary. Blue Öyster Cult's connection to that memory is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment