Saturday, May 14, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA: What's Not On Your iPod?

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post asks that musical question, "What's not on your iPod?"

The question is not tied to a specific portable music player. It applies equally to those who use streaming services, or to those who just wanna think about the music they own and enjoy via whatever means or format: what's missing? And by that, I don't mean what sounds you desire but have not yet tethered to your chosen song-playin' option; I'm talking about notable acts many of your peers may find essential, but whom you're more likely to shrug off with disdain and/or indifference.

But this is not an invitation for hipsters, nor a diatribe against those whose taste in rockin' pop mojo deviates from mine. Dig what you dig. Always dig what you dig. The piece (originally written in 2018) reflects my own POV, but I don't expect or desire my lack of interest in a performer to dilute your passionate support for that same performer. Dig. What. You. Dig. Hell, I've even expanded my iPod fare by a couple of the artists I seemed to virtually blacklist when I wrote this thing. I concede the possibility that even someone like me--ME!!--may be capable of evolving and maturing.

While still remaining my giddy self, mind you.

When I interviewed Johnny Ramone in 1994 (an interview I hope you'll have a chance to read later this year), Johnny looked back on the tracks on individual Ramones albums and said, "There's some stuff I like, there's some stuff I don't like." Good enough for Johnny Ramone, and good enough for me. You can see a glimpse of some stuff I like--and some stuff I don't like--in the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment