Saturday, May 21, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA: The Old 52 (Imagining A New Pre-Crisis DC Comics)


Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a flight of fancy imagining a new DC Comics set in the company's pre-1986 continuity (prior to its reset in Crisis On Infinite Earths): "The Old 52."


Although I still buy, read, and even enjoy a number of current comic books (and I automatically dismiss the opinion of anyone who uses "woke" as a whiny pejorative in complaining about comics), I clearly have greater affection for pre-Crisis. That affection has prompted a number of posts here, so let's list a few of them:

100-Page Super Spectacular

My 100-Page FAKES!

Adventure Comics

Batman (1966 Signet paperback)

Batman Meets The Monkees

Batman # 180

My Two Batmen

SHAZAM! The Original Captain Marvel

The Everlasting First: Aquaman

The Everlasting First: Batman

The Everlasting First: Charlton Comics

The Everlasting First: Hoppy The Marvel Bunny

The Everlasting First: The Inferior Five

The Everlasting First: Jimmy Olsen

The Everlasting First: Kid Eternity

The Everlasting First: The Legion Of Super-Heroes

The Everlasting First: The Red Tornado

My Crisis-Era Adventures Of Jerry Lewis pastiche

Justice Society Of America: The Movie

Plastic Man

The Shadow

Superboy # 129

Tarzan

Neal Adams

E. Nelson Bridwell

Dennis O'Neil

Martin Pasko's The Albatross

Dear Superguys (I Was A Teenaged Comic Book Letterhack)

Rejection Accepted: Trying (And Failing) To Write For DC Comics

Singers, Superheroes, And Songs On The Radio: My Life In Pop Culture, The 1960s

There have been many more, and even that doesn't take into account things I've written about Marvel Comics and others. I'm a comics fan, then and now. Then feeds now in a fantasy about a new line of DC Comics built just for li'l ol' me. "The Old 52" is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.


If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment