Monday, May 16, 2022

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio # 1129

 

In 1976, when I was a junior in high school, a girl I knew wrote in my yearbook, "Carl, you've got to be the most happy-go-lucky person I've ever met."

I was struck, then and now, by how far off the mark she was in describing me. I guess I put up a good front. Then and now.

As I write this on Thursday, May 12th, I'm getting ready to fly to Florida for my uncle's memorial service on Saturday the 14th. Uncle Carl passed in December, fifteen days after my Mom left us. Time is the enemy. I spent part of Wednesday writing a eulogy, something which I hope will be uplifting and life-affirming, something I'm sure Uncle Carl would love. If fortune favors us, I should be back home in Syracuse by the time you read this, and back in time to have listened to this week's broadcast on Sunday night. My mood is fine; I understand the meaning of calendar pages turning and flitting away. I will continue to greet their flight with as much grace as I can muster.

And that's okay. With great powerlessness comes great irresponsibility. While I don't believe in the flawed method of fake-it-till-you-make-it, I do recognize the transformative potential of gettin' through, with a chip on my shoulder and a song in my heart. Perspective is essential. A sense of humor can offer catharsis. Music is cathartic. If we're not always as happy-go-lucky as we seem, we can still revel in any opportunity to embrace the moment. For whatever the moment is worth.

Dana and I play songs on the radio. It's a good gig, and I think it may help some listeners be a little bit happy for a little bit of our allotted time on this odd planet. It makes me happy. The rest will follow and fall into place if it can. Happy-go-lucky? Me? My high school friend wasn't right about me in that regard. 

But maybe she wasn't entirely wrong, either.

So here's another attempt at sight gags on the radio, rockin' pop music played loud and proud. Here's to the pursuit of happy-go-lucky. Here's to the giddy pleasure of giddy pleasure. Here's to you, and to yours. Laugh. Sing. Dance. Listen. This is what rock 'n' roll radio sounded like on a Sunday night in Syracuse this week.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at  http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read all about this show's long and weird history here: Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (The History Of THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO)

TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS are always welcome.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

PS: SEND MONEY!!!! We need tech upgrades like Elvis needs boats. Spark Syracuse is supported by listeners like you. Tax-deductible donations are welcome at
http://sparksyracuse.org/support/

You can follow Carl's daily blog Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) at 
https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/

TIRnRR # 1129: 5/15/2022
TIRnRR FRESH SPINS! Tracks we think we ain't played before are listed in bold

THE RAMONES: Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio? (Rhino, End Of The Century)
--
POP CO-OP: Short Fuses (Futureman, Suspension)
POP CO-OP: I Just Love To Watch Her Dance (Futureman, Suspension)
THE SLAPBACKS: Make Something Happen (Kool Kat Musik, VA: This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4)
DAVID BOWIE: The Width Of A Circle (Parlophone, Metrobolist [Nine Songs By David Bowie])
POP CO-OP: Extra Beat In My Heart (redacted)
--
ARIELLE EDEN: U-Turns (single)
PAUL McCARTNEY: Heart Of The Country (Capitol, Ram)
SOLOMON BURKE: Cry To Me (Rhino, The Very Best Of Solomon Burke)
SUGAR PIE DeSANTO: It Won't Be Long (Kent Soul, Go Go Power: The Complete Chess Singles  1961-1966)
HOOVER & MARTINEZ: What The Heart Wants (Loaded Goat, The 3P)
THE BEATLES: Act Naturally (Apple, Help!)
--
PERILOUS: Rock & Roll Kiss (single)
THE SMALL FACES: You Need Loving (Deram, The Anthology 1965-1967)
LED ZEPPELIN: Good Times Bad Times (Atlantic, Led Zeppelin)
HUMAN SWITCHBOARD: (Say No To) Saturday's Girl (Bar/None, Who's Landing In My Hangar?)
GENE CLARK: So You Say You Lost Your Baby (Columbia, Echoes)
--
BRAD MARINO: Another Sad And Lonely Night (Rum Bar, single)
THE CYNICS: Cat And Mouse (Get Hip, Sixteen Flights Up)
STRAWBERRY ALARM CLOCK: Incense And Peppermints (Rhino, VA: Nuggets)
THE ZOMBIES: Tell Her No (Big Beat, Zombie Heaven)
HOT CHOCOLATE: Green Shirt (EMI, Box Selection)
THE KINKS: Wait Till The Summer Comes Along (Essential, Kinda Kinks)
--
THE TEARJERKERS: Syracuse Summer (Futureman, VA: This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 3)
NICK LOWE: Heart Of The City (Yep Roc, Jesus Of Cool)
JIM CROCE: I Got A Name (Music Club Deluxe, The Definitive Croce)
THEE HEADCOATS: We're Gone (Sub Pop, Heavens To Murgatroyd, Even! It's Thee Headcoats! [Already])
TINA TURNER: The Acid Queen (Polydor, VA: Tommy OST)
MARY LOU LORD: Some Jingle Jangle Morning (Work, Mind The Gap)
--
THE WALKER BRIGADE: Fallout (Big Stir, If Only)
THE BABLERS: You Are The One For Me (Big Stir, single)
THE JAYHAWKS: She Walks In So Many Ways (Rounder, Mockingbird Time)
P. P. ARNOLD: Angel Of The Morning (Sequel, The First Cut)
THE GRIP WEEDS: Lady Friend (Jem, Dig)
--
THE RAMONES: Sheena Is A Punk Rocker (Rhino, Rocket To Russia)
THE BREAKAWAYS: USA (Alive, Walking Out On Love)
THE FLASHCUBES: I Wanna Be With You (Northside, Flashcubes On Fire)
TINA & THE MEXICANS: Just Hang On (Particles, VA: People! Let's Freak Out!)
LITTLE RICHARD: Keep A-Knockin' (Specialty, The Georgia Peach)
THE KNACK: Heartbeat (Capitol, Get The Knack)
--
EYTAN MIRSKY: You're Getting It On Me (M-Squared, Lord, Have Mirsky!)
THE MUSIC MACHINE: Double Yellow Line (Rhino, VA: Nuggets)
SYD STRAW: Future 40's (String Of Pearls) (Virgin, Surprise)
T. REX: Ride A White Swan (Hip-O, MARC BOLAN & T,. REX: 20th Century Boy)
THE CHELSEA CURVE: Jamie C'Mon (Red On Red, All The Things)
DAVE COPE & THE SASS: Julee (Kool Kat Musik, Julee)
--
THE FOUR TOPS: Something About You (Motown, The Ultimate Collection)
THE REFLECTORS: Teenage Hearts (Big Stir, single)
FLEETWOOD MAC: Second Hand News (Warner Brothers, Rumours)
GAME THEORY: Treat It Like My Own [fan club holiday tape] (Omnivore, Across The Barrier Of Sound: PostScript)
STYX: Lorelei (A & M, Equinox)
DAVE EDMUNDS: Almost Saturday Night (Rhino, The Anthology [1968-1990])
RONNIE SPECTOR: Communication (Bad Girl Sounds, Something's Gonna Happen)
BIG STAR: Till The End Of The Day [alternate mix] (Rhino, Keep An Eye On The Sky)
--
THE MONKEES: Words (Rhino, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd.)
THE MONKEES: Band 6 (Rhino, Headquarters)

No comments:

Post a Comment