Wednesday, October 26, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA: THE EVERLASTING FIRST! Jefferson Airplane and Jan & Dean

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is an Everlasting First Quick Take of my introductions to Jefferson Airplane and Jan & Dean.

Jefferson Airplane's 1967 gem "White Rabbit" was one of the many, many tracks I considered for discussion in my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). A "White Rabbit" chapter was penciled into several of GREM!'s proposed Tables Of Contents, usually (I think) right after a chapter about the Velvet Underground, or maybe it was after Grandmaster and Melle Mel's "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)." Drug culture would certainly have figured into my nascent idea of a Jefferson Airplane GREM! piece, but what I wanted to say seemed to fit more naturally in my chapter about Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company. I do love "White Rabbit," and I wouldn't rule out returning to that track in the very hypothetical The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 2).

I'm not really much of a Jan & Dean guy. I respect them, and they were the masters of ceremony for my favorite concert movie The T.A.M.I. Show, but I rarely listen to them. Your mileage may vary, and I would advise you mind your MPH if you're approaching Dead Man's Curve. Meanwhile, my introductions to both Jefferson Airplane and Jan & Dean serve as the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment