Wednesday, October 12, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA: THE EVERLASTING FIRST! The Ides Of March and The Invaders

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is another episode of The Everlasting First!, with quick-take recollections of my introductions to one Top 40 pop group and one WWII-set superhero group: the Ides of March and the Invaders.

This short piece was first posted in 2016, originally as the Quick Takes postscript part of a longer Everlasting First spotlighting the Isley Brothers and the Inferior Five. When I decided to split the music and comics entries in my A-Z EF series, I went back and moved the longer pieces into separate posts. This supplemental entry for the letter I was either the last or next-to-last combined Quick Takes. I did originally combine the full-length J entries (for the Jam and Jimmy Olsen), and I don't remember if the now-independent Quick Takes For J [music edition] and Quick Takes For J [comics edition] had been part of the original Jam-Jimmy Olsen post. Probably so. The series officially split in two with K (for Kid Eternity and the Kinks).

I am waaaay overdue to return to The Everlasting First. I got as far as T (for Tarzan and the Turtles), and haven't added a new EF entry since November of 2021. When I do resume, I'm determined to continue alphabetically. I think U will be for Uncle Scrooge and the Undertones. V will be Vampirella and probably the Velvet Underground. W is Wonder Woman, likely with the Who. X has gotta be the X-Men, and I don't know if I'll write about X or XTC. Y will be the Yardbirds and...something. Z is for the Zombies and Zorro. Please note that I am not under oath. And when I finish the A-Z series, The Everlasting First will continue whenever I feel like reminiscing about the origin of one of my pop obsessions, like the Animals or the Lone Ranger.

Meanwhile, we look back at the shortest combined comics and music Quick Takes in the storied history of The Everlasting First. Brief memories of my introductions to the Ides of March and the Invaders provide the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment