Saturday, October 1, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA: My First Book!

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a tease for my first book, which is due out in the Spring of 2023.

The timing of this post is deliberate: today, October 1st, would have been my Dad's 103rd birthday. Dad passed in 2012, and we lost Mom in December of 2021, at the age of 96. Mom and Dad were my biggest supporters. Even when my interests seemed odd, whether it was pursuing writing instead of going into teaching or some other reliable profession, or listening to rock 'n' roll instead of y'know, good music, Mom and Dad were on my side. When they were retirees working security at the airport in the '90s, whenever a rock musician passed through the line (and believe me, they could spot a rock musician in that context), they would ask the musicmakers if they were familiar with their son's favorite American groups, the Ramones and the Flashcubes, or sometimes they'd mention Joan Jett, whom I interviewed in 1994. It wasn't Mom and Dad's music at all; they represented on my behalf nonetheless.

Throughout 2022, as personal milestones and points of news occurred, one of my first thoughts was always, I've gotta tell Mom about this. The notion is only a brief flash, replaced by the real world. I'm okay. Honest, I am. Continuing to linger in this life would not have been in Mom's best interest, and I accept that. And I've gotta figure that, whatever good or bad stuff happens now in this material realm, Mom and Dad probably already know about it.

Mom did know about my book. She knew what it was, what it was about, and that it had found a publisher, with publication date then TBD. Mom was a fan of my stuff--she asked me to read my blog to her every day--perhaps not because it was inherently interesting, but because it was mine. 

I wish I could tell Mom and Dad about speaking with my publisher's marketing manager last week. They'd be enthused and fascinated by the process of turning my scribbled notions into an actual book, a book based on stuff of mine they did have an opportunity to read many years ago. 

Today is Dad's birthday. Mom's birthday was in August. This year, for the first time in over a decade, they got to spend those birthdays together. I bet they danced, somewhere up there. And they looked upon us, my brothers and sister and me, and all of our extended families, and they smiled. I know this. 

And I know they know about my book, and I know they're proud of me. That's just who they were. 

Happy Birthday, Dad. Give Mom my best. Remember that book I talked about writing? It's still kind of a secret, but it's also the subject of the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

2 comments: