Friday, October 28, 2022

Professional Liar Rains...um, REIGNS! (Or: Carl sells another short story)

The one, the only...RAIN-HAT SAM!!

The good folks at AHOY Comics have purchased another one of my short stories. My story "Rain-Hat Sam" will appear as a prose feature in a future issue of one of the many fine AHOY titles.

This is my eighth fiction sale to AHOY, continuing a relationship that begin in 2019 with "Guitars Vs. Rayguns," my first AHOY sale. "Guitars Vs. Rayguns" was also my first-ever fiction sale to anyone, following decades of freelance work in nonfiction markets. HuzZAH! 

"Rain-Hat Sam" is based on an unlikely superhero I created as a kid in the '60s. It was a silly concept of a hero whose magic hat rained on...himself. That's it. Just himself. A ridiculous premise, sure, but I was dead serious about it when I was in grade school. Good ol' Sam was part of my early efforts to create superhero stories, and I held on to this weird notion of a moistened avenger until my early teens. 

Grow up, you say? Not gonna happen.

In seeking to invent fictional worlds, some claim there are no bad ideas, just the risk of bad execution. Rain-Hat Sam was a bad idea. But somehow, I rescued it anyway, and I think I made it work very well for one story.

Um...don't hold your breath waiting for "Rain-Hat Sam II."

The story has not yet been scheduled. AHOY's editorial team will assign one of their pencil-and-ink wizards to craft a single illustration for the story, and I very much look forward to seeing Rain-Hat Sam--of all characters, Rain-Hat Sam!--brought to visual life by one of AHOY's gifted artists. I will post here when the story is set to appear at a comic book store near you.

Rain-Hat Sam. RAIN-HAT SAM! Cower before me, evildoers. Justice gets wet, as the Professional Liar strikes again.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment