Saturday, October 15, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! The Marvelettes, "I'll Keep Holding On"


Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a Greatest Record Ever Made! spotlight on "I'll Keep Holding On" by the Marvelettes.

We always repeat the mantra: An infinite number of tracks can each be THE greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. And where would we be if we didn't take turns? This Marvelettes piece has been in and out of various blueprints for my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). The heading at the top of the posted chapter indicates the chapter might be pushed back to the really hypothetical The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 2). BUT!! It is currently back in Volume 1, nestled comfortably between Baron Daemon and the Vampires and the Who.

I've been doing a combination proofread and tightening of the GREM! draft. The draft is now under 115,000 words, may still shrink a tiny bit more, but will likely sit around that number (at least in this incarnation). More than two-thirds of the way through proofreading, I'm a little surprised to see how many typos made it this far into the process. But I'll get 'em! I mean, I'll get some of them. Typos are like vampires: they suck, and they're hard to kill. I'm working on it, wooden stake at the ready.

Buffy will save us!

There's no real urgency for the GREM! book; it hasn't yet been accepted by a publisher, though I remain hopeful that the publisher of my other book (now due out in May of 2023) will also be interested in GREM! As noted here, that first book has been listed as a preorder from various sites, but has not yet been officially announced by the publisher. The head of the marketing department has been in touch with me this week, as the hype machine revs up for its first few test flights. I am very excited.

And no, I still can't tell you anything more about that book until the publisher announces it. So, LOOK! Look over here! Yeah, look at my other stubborn, resilient, not-dead-yet book idea. The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). Its chapter about a dynamic and soulful power pop track by the Marvelettes is the subject of the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment