Friday, December 2, 2022

Book Stuff

Earlier this week, my publisher sent me a pdf of the galley interior for my first book, which is due out in the spring. It was just an opportunity to review the layout of the uncorrected proof, but it's yet another step closer to seeing my dream come true. 

A book. My book.

With the galley before me, I can now tell that the book will be 128 pages. I can't say much else until the publisher lists the book on its own website, even though the usual online retail suspects are already accepting preorders for [Redacted Redacted Redacted!] by Carl Cafarelli. Nonfiction. Music reference. Details will follow soon enough. 

A dream can prompt bigger dreams, and those are fun, right? I've informed the folks at work that, if this book sells a million copies, I'll be cutting back a bit on my hours. In the real world, I'll be really, really lucky if it sells a thousand copies, if even that. But I'm in my happy zone right now, so forgive the flight of silly fantasy. I'll return to ground level when I have to.

And I continue to work on my long-threatened other book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). I remain hopeful that publication of my first book will lead to this particular labor o' love also (finally!) seeing the light of day. Most of the recent tweaking of GREM! has involved cutting back on its massive word count, but I've just added five short chapters to its proposed Table of Contents. With those five additions, it's still under 116,000 words--far less than the original 160,000-word doorstop--and I'm going to see if I can tighten it a little further still. I'll post the updated GREM! blueprint tomorrow.

But meanwhile: MY FIRST BOOK! Spring 2023. The dream continues. 

Yeah, the uncorrected pdf says "paperback." We'll fix it later. 
If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment