Tuesday, December 20, 2022

MY FAVORITE CHRISTMAS STORY: Mark Evanier And Mel Tormé


I have a favorite Christmas movie (It's A Wonderful Life, which is my firm pick even though director Frank Capra probably never thought of it as a Christmas movie). I have a favorite rock 'n' roll Christmas song ("It's About That Time" by the Idea), and it rivals the status of my overall favorite Christmas song, Nat King Cole's rendition of "The Christmas Song."

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire....

That latter song choice leads directly to my favorite Christmas story: Mark Evanier and Mel Tormé

During my blog's inaugural year of 2016, my intent was to link to Mark's Christmas story every year. I did so in 2016, and in 2017, then forgot to link again until 2019. The rigors of the COVID scene in 2020 and the ache of losing my Mom in December of 2021 may have influenced me to skip linking to Mark's story in those years. If so, I disavow that thought now. In times of trouble, we need a little Christmas. 

Mark's wonderful piece remains the model for the sort of things I'd like to be able to write, highlighting the deeply personal bond we can and should have with the music we love. It's a perfect story, and I invite you to go read it.

Me? I'm going to read it again right now. It will make my eyes sting and heart sing, as it always does. We cherish what was. We hope for what might still be, if it can. Life hurts. It's what life does. Our bond with our loved ones, and with our art, can comfort and sustain. Although it's been said many times, many ways, it bears repeating. 

None have said it better than Mark Evanier says it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment