Thursday, January 25, 2024

Fake THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO Playlist: LPs I Bought When I Was A College Student 1977-1980

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl is simply too large a concept to be neatly contained within a mere three-hour weekly time slot. Hence these occasional fake TIRnRR playlists, detailing shows we're never really going to do...but could.

Picking up from yesterday's fake playlist of 45s I bought when I was a college student, here's a sequel collecting tracks from LPs I bought during the same time frame. Only limitation was to exclude any LP from which I'd also purchased one of its singles. (Various-artists compilations were exempt from this rule.)

Although today's title refers specifically to albums I purchased, I decided to include a few LPs I received as gifts during this period: Armed Forces by Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Live And Sleazy by the Village People, and Alive II by KISS. At the end of my first semester in college, my girlfriend gave me Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols for Christmas, but it's not eligible for this playlist because I owned the "God Save The Queen" 45. And yeah, I did break up with her over winter break; there was no future, no future, no future for us.

And as I said yesterday:

Today's exercise in playlist imagineering collects tracks from 45s I bought when I was a college student. These were all 7" slabs of vinyl I purchased in the period in between my initial onset of on-campus matriculatin' as a 17-year-old freshman in August of 1977 and grabbing my Bachelor of Arts degree in May of 1980 at the age of 20. Yeah, it was a four-year degree in three years. Musta had something do with the velocity of the music I preferred.

So here's a 33 1/3 rpm soundtrack to all that...studying. Yeah, studying. THAT'S what I was doing. Turn it up. Hunker down. These essays aren't going to write themselves.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl--y'know, the real one--airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read all about this show's long and weird history here: Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (The History Of THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO). TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS are always welcome.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download
Volume 5: CD or download

PS: SEND MONEY!!!! We need tech upgrades like Elvis needs boats. Spark Syracuse is supported by listeners like you. Tax-deductible donations are welcome at 
http://sparksyracuse.org/support/

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! 

You can follow Carl's daily blog Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) at 
https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/

FAKE TIRnRR PLAYLIST: LPs I Bought When I Was A College Student 1977-1990

THE RUNAWAYS: School Days (Waiting For The Night)
KISS: Then She Kissed Me (Love Gun)
ELVIS COSTELLO: Watching The Detectives (My Aim Is True)
BLONDIE: Accidents Never Happen (Eat To The Beat)
THE FLAMIN' GROOVIES: Don't Put Me On (Now)
DAVID BOWIE: Boys Keep Swinging (Lodger)
--
THE KINKS: Waterloo Sunset (The Kink Kronikles)
THE BEAU BRUMMELS: Laugh, Laugh (Sing)
THE 13th FLOOR ELEVATORS: You're Gonna Miss Me (Nuggets)
THE BYRDS: The World Turns All Around Her (Turn! Turn! Turn!)
THE ADVERTS: Gary Gilmore's Eyes (Geef Voor New Wave)
THE ROLLING STONES: Citadel (Their Satanic Majesties Request)
--
SEGERINI: Gotta Have Pop (Gotta Have Pop)
THE BATTERED WIVES: Uganda Stomp (The Battered Wives)
DAVID JOHANSEN: Frenchette (David Johansen)
JOHNNY THUNDERS: You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory (So Alone)
THE HEARTBREAKERS: Chinese Rocks (Live At Max's Kansas City)
THE SCRUFFS: Revenge (Wanna' Meet The Scruffs?)
--
TELEVISION: Elevation (Marquee Moon)
THE CARS: Just What I Needed (The Cars)
CHEAP TRICK: Surrender (Cheap Trick At Budokan)
TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS: I Need To Know (You're Gonna Get It)
THE BAY CITY ROLLERS: Sweet Virginia (It's A Game)
THE SEX PISTOLS: Something Else (The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle)
--
MOTT THE HOOPLE: Sweet Jane (All The Young Dudes)
THE PALEY BROTHERS AND THE RAMONES: Come On Let's Go (Rock 'n' Roll High School)
THE BEAT: Rock And Roll Girl (The Beat)
THE ROMANTICS: When I Look In Your Eyes (The Romantics)
CHERRY VANILLA: The Punk (Bad Girl)
JOE JACKSON: One More Time (Look Sharp!)
--
THE DEAD BOYS: All This And More (Young, Loud & Snotty)
SLADE: Gudbuy T' Jane (Sladest)
THE REAL KIDS: All Kindsa Girls (The Real Kids)
RADIO BIRDMAN: Aloha Steve And Danno (Radios Appear)
999: Let's Face It (High Energy Plan)
PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS: Let Me! (Greatest Hits Volume II)
--
THE RUBINOOS: I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend (Back To The Drawing Board)
THE BUZZCOCKS: Ever Fallen In Love (Singles Going Steady)
SUZI QUATRO: Tear Me Apart (Aggro-Phobia)
THE WHO: Sister Disco (Who Are You)
THE BEACH BOYS: Sloop John B (Pet Sounds)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN: The Ties That Bind (The River)
--
THE B-52's: 52 Girls (The B-52's)
BRAM TCHAIKOVSKY: Girl Of My Dreams (Strange Man, Changed Man)
THE VILLAGE PEOPLE: Sleazy (Live And Sleazy)
CAT STEVENS: The First Cut Is The Deepest (Hard Up Heroes)
THE NOW: He's Takin' You To The Movies (The Now)
THE DAVE CLARK FIVE: When (Coast To Coast)
THE BEATLES: Crying Waiting Hoping (The Deccagone Sessions)
ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ATTRACTIONS: (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding (Armed Forces)
--
DAVID BOWIE: Suffragette City (The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars)
THE RUNAWAYS: Rock And Roll (Live In Japan)
KISS: Any Way You Want It (Alive II)
THE FLAMIN' GROOVIES: Shake Some Action (Shake Some Action)
THE RAMONES: Blitzkrieg Bop (Ramones)
THE RAMONES: Carbona Not Glue (Leave Home)
THE RAMONES: I Wanna Be Sedated (Road To Ruin)
THE RAMONES: Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio? (End Of The Century)
--
THE RESIDENTS: Why Hitler Was A Vegetarian [excerpt] (The Residents Present The Third Reich 'n' Roll)

2 comments:

  1. I … Vastly underrated. Also, I love the Residents track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Citadel!! in fact, that’s my favorite Rolling Stones record! Yay!

    ReplyDelete