Monday, January 22, 2024

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio # 1217


I recorded my parts for this week's show on my 64th birthday. That fact has no bearing on the show itself--I closed last week's show with my go-to birthday song, the Ramones' "I Don't Want To Grow Up"--but it was a kick for me to spend my birthday morning, coffee in hand, immersed in the music. I made sure that Dana's selections and my selections fit together within our time slot, barked my back-announcements into the mic (i.e., my iPhone), and then shipped the files off to Dana for the transmogrification process of turning it all into a radio show. A few nights later, it was on the radio in Syracuse, and on the web world-wide.

Who could have imagined such a thing in 1960? My conscious memories only go back to 1963, when I remember watching as my crib was dismantled and exiled to the attic for storage. In that time frame, the everyday conveniences of our newfangled 21st century would have seemed the stuff of fantasy, the milieu of Flash Gordon and Astro Boy, the trappings of Superman and Dick Tracy, the world of The Jetsons. Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

My age does not bother me. It's not old. If, from the skewed POV of adolescence, 64 once seemed like it would be the right time to start measuring caskets and considering moss for my north side, now it just feels like...now. My life hasn't been bad so far. We've all known sadness, ache, and even desperation. But I've been lucky. I found love. I have family. I have my unique freelance faith, a stubborn belief that tomorrow is possible.

Plus, y'know, I got to see the Ramones eight times. Younger folks will never know what they missed.

On my birthday, after the show was done, I went out to buy my new comic books for the week. I'm still the kid I used to be, still becoming whatever it is I'm going to be. The journey isn't just a part of the story.

It is the story.

Every story needs a soundtrack. Here's some music to go with my story, and I hope it goes with yours, as well. Grow up? You know the deal by now: Don't wanna. Won't need to.

Ain't gonna.

And this is what rock 'n' roll radio sounded like on another Sunday night inn Syracuse this week.

This show is availanle as a podcast.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream, and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio

You can read all about this show's long and weird history here: Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (The History Of THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO)

TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS are always welcome.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download
Volume 5: CD or download

HEY! Looking for something to read? Check out Carl's book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones You can also follow Carl's daily blog Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) at https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/ If you would like to receive links to each day's blog, please reply to this email.

TIRnRR # 1217: 1/21/2024
TIRnRR FRESH SPINS! Tracks we think we ain't played before are listed in bold

VEGAS WITH RANDOLPH: What If? (n/a, The Future Store)
WILCO: I Must Be High (Sire, A.M.)
THE SUPREMES: It's All Been Said Before (Motown, The '70s Anthology)
GAME THEORY: In A DeLorean (Omnivore, 2 Steps From The Middle Ages)
THE dB'S: Black And White [Don Dixon mix] (Propeller Sound Recordings, I Thought You Wanted To Know 1978-1981)
--
THE JACK RUBIES: Heaven Shook Me (Big Stir, Clocks Are Out Of Time)
THE CYRKLE: Red Rubber Ball [21st century version] (Big Stir, single)
BO DIDDLEY: Pills (MCA, The Chess Box)
STEPHEN STILLS: Old Times Good Times (Atlantic, CROSBNY, STILLS AND NASH: CSN)
KISS: See You Tonight (Mercury, MTV Unplugged)
DRACO ROSSA WITH ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ATTRACTIONS: Yo Te Vi [The Beat] (Universal, Spanish Model)
--
RICHARD TURGEON: All Alone (Kool Kat Musik, Life Of The Party)
EKENDRA DASA AND THE PLANET COW ORCHESTRA: Red Light Up Ahead (n/a, 200 Proof Absolute Truth)
EMPEROR PENGUIN: I Wouldn't Put It Like That (Kool Kat Musik, Gentlemen Thieves)
LORRIE AND LARRY COLLINS: Mercy (Rhino, VA: Loud, Fast & Out Of Control)
DUSTY SPRINGFIELD: Son Of A Preacher Man (Rhino, Dusty In Memphis)
CARLENE CARTER: When You Comin' Back (Demon, Musical Shapes/Blue Nun)
--
RICH CHAMBERS: Fortunate Son (n/a, I Found The Volume)
JACK LEE: Hanging On The Telephone (Alive, Anthology: Bigger Than Life)
THE MONKEES: She Hangs Out (Rhino, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones. Ltd.)
JANE WIEDLIN: Big Rock Candy Mountain (EMI, Tangled)
THE FOUR TOPS: Bernadette (Motown, The Ultimate Collection)
CARL WILSON: Time (Sony, Youngblood)
--
THE HALF CUBES: Not Where It's At (unreleased)
DANA GILLESPIE: Pack Your Bags (Cherry Red, What Memories We Make)
TAMAR BERK: Permanent Vacation (n/a, Tiny Injuries)
DAVID BOWIE: Hang On To Yourself (Virgin, Bowie At The Beeb)
THE KINKS: Dedicated Follower Of Fashion (Sanctuary, The Anthology 1964-1971)
THE CRYAN SHAMES: If I Needed Someone (MOJO, VA: Beatlemania/Volume 1)
--
POPDUDES: Again And Again And Again (n/a, The Denny Laine EP)
DOLPH CHANEY: My Good Twin (Big Stir, This Is Dolph Chaney)
BERLIN: Blowin' Sky High (Geffen, Best Of Berlin 1979-1988)
P. P. ARNOLD: Soul Survivor (Metrophonic, single)
DAVE EDMUNDS: Girls Talk (Rhino, The Anthology [1968-1990])
--
The Greatest Record Ever Made!
MARYKATE O'NEIL: I'm Ready For My Luck To Turn Around (n/a, 1-800-Bankrupt)
THE GO-BETWEENS: Love Goes On! (Beggars Banquet, 16 Lovers Lane)
ROTARY CONNECTION: Love Me Now (Chess, Black Gold)
BILLY BURNETTE: Rockin' L.A. (Columbia, Billy Burnette)
MICKEY AND SYLVIA: Dearest (Rainbow, Presenting Mickey & Sylvia)
FAIRPORT CONVENTION: Time Will Show The Wiser (Polydor, Fairport Convention)
--
PERILOUS: Energy (n/a, YEAH!!!)
HEADGIRL: Please Don't Touch (Lemon, GIRLSCHOOL: The Singles)
THE CYNICS: Last Mistake (Get Hip, Here We Are)
JUNIPER: I Was Thinking About You (Confidential Recordings, single)
CRICKLE: Tell Me That You're Mine (n/a, Have You Heard The Word?)
--
THE RAMONES: I Wanna Be Sedated (Rhino, Road To Ruin)
THE FACTORY: Path Through The Forest (Rhino, VA: Nuggets II)
THE FLASHCUBES: Gudbuy T' Jane (Big Stir, Pop Masters)
THE WEEKLINGS: Falling Down A Flight Of Stairs (Jem, Raspberry Park)
THE ISLEY BROTHERS: It's Your Thing (Epic, The Essential Isley Brothers)
GENE CLARK WITH THE GOSDIN BROTHERS: Elevator Operator (Sundazed, Gene Clark With The Gosdin Brothers)
THE AVENGERS: We Are The One (Superior Viaduct, Avengers)
GEORGE HARRISON: What Is Life [take 1] (Capitol, All Things Must Pass [Deluxe Edition])
--
CHUBBY CHECKER: Slow Twistin' (Abkco, Dancin' Party: The Chubby Checker Collection)
KEN SHARP: God Bless The Banyan Tree (n/a, VA: Embers Of Aloha: A Maui Wildfire Benefit Project)

No comments:

Post a Comment