Tuesday, January 16, 2018

A Crowd Of People Stood And Stared: The Relative Popularity Of VIRTUAL TICKET STUB GALLERY



My series Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery has given me an opportunity to look back at concerts I've seen, and to comment at length about what the show and performers meant to me, then and now. I've also done two sidebar entries on opening acts (with a third one coming), and two preambles to my first Paul McCartney show (Maybe I'm Amazed and Paul McCartney [introduction]). Here are links to the eight full-fledged Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery posts I've published so far, ranked from most-viewed to least-viewed.

1. Paul McCartney



The culmination of a life-long dream come true: seeing Paul McCartney in concert! The reality of this 2017 show matched the dream in my mind, resulting in an unforgettable experience that I needed to document in detail.

2. The Beatles Live 1976



My only fictional Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery to date, detailing an imaginary 1976 reunion of the act you've known for all these years. I tried to ground this in some semblance of the real world, though it is nonetheless a flight of pure fancy. It was an absolute blast to write.

3. The Monkees



When I was younger, the idea of seeing The Monkees in concert was an attractive fantasy nearly on a par with seeing The Beatles. But I wound up seeing The Monkees three times. This piece tells the story of my Monkees fandom, of seeing the Davy-Micky-Peter group in 1986 and 1987, of seeing Michael, Micky, and Peter in 2012, and of the emotional connections and personal crises wrapped up and tethered to my Monkees experiences.

4. The Ramones, The Runaways, and The Flashcubes




Easter break 1978: four bucks to see The Ramones, The Runaways, and The Flashcubes. Is it a spoiler to say this was the best four bucks I ever spent?

5. Elvis Costello & the Attractions



More teen drama, this time attached to a 1978 Elvis Costello show, and my attempts to grow up.

6. Brian Wilson, Herman's Hermits, and the Pet Sounds Of The Soul



We pause our reflections of my teen drama for a little middle-aged drama, surrounding a bad day in 2016 ameliorated a bit by an opportunity to see Brian Wilson perform Pet Sounds.

7. My First Flashcubes Show



January 28th of this month marks the 40th anniversary of the first time I saw Syracuse's own power pop powerhouse The Flashcubes take a stage and burn it down. It left a mark.

8. KISS



My first rock concert, December 1976. Yeah, Gene Simmons is a jerk. Sure, KISS isn't and has never been universally adored. Nonetheless, this show meant an awful lot to me.



I've been toying with the notion of writing a Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery about the first time I saw The Kinks, and I look forward to diving into that one soon. Take your seats before you stand on them--the show's about to start.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 


Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment