Wednesday, August 15, 2018

100-Page FAKES! An Interlude At The Crossroads




I've enjoyed putting together my 100-Page FAKES!, a series that's taken a number of individual DC Comics issues from the mid '70s and expanded them into imaginary 100-Page Super Spectaculars. So far, we've seen faux Super Spec versions of Adventure Comics (with The Spectre and Aquaman), The Brave And The Bold, Detective Comics, Secret Origins, The Shadow, Justice Inc., All-Star Comics, DC SpecialMetal MenThe SandmanRima The Jungle Girl, and Wanted, The World's Most Dangerous Criminals, plus a couple of Charlton Comics books (The Phantom and E-Man). These have been a lot of fun to do, and I'm going to do at least a few more of them.

But Phase One of 100-Page FAKES! is nearing its conclusion. There aren't many (if any) more DC titles that a) I'm interested in transforming into 100-page format, and b) I have scans available to exploit and expand. Future editions of this series will likely stick to additional issues of titles I've already done. These will include more of editor Joe Orlando's Adventure Comics (my favorite comic book at the time), another issue or two apiece of Detective Comics and The Brave And The Bold, probably another DC Special (and almost certainly a DC Special presenting Wanted, The World's Most Dangerous Criminals), maybe The Shadow, Justice Inc., All-Star Comics, and The Phantom. Maybe Rima, too.

I'm playing around with three more titles that I haven't done yet: two licensed properties (one published by DC, one by Charlton), and one DC original. One of these I'm leaning toward doing; with the other two, I'm not yet convinced I can come up with an appropriate selection of reprints.

In doing these 100-Page FAKES!, I have a set of parameters in mind. I've preferred not to stray too, too far from the 1971-74 time frame of the original Super Specs; I've gone forward as far as early 1976--which is a considerable stretch, but still only about a year from the March-April '75 cover dates of the final Super Specs--but I draw a hard 'n' fast line at publisher Carmine Infantino's dismissal from the company in '76. And, uh, even that rule will be suspended temporarily for a near-future 100-Page FAKE! I'm a work in progress, I am. I've also preferred anthologies, featuring reprints of stories starring different characters, because I don't see the fun in slapping together a book of just Green Lantern or whoever. I've justified using Charlton Comics stuff because DC eventually acquired Charlton's Action Heroes line (and also licensed The Phantom), but I'm not going to add Marvel books; I haven't completely ruled out doing one Gold Key title.

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe.
And finally, I'm limited by the practical reality of what issues I actually have in my collection of scanned comics. I can't expand on something I don't possess.

As before, copyrights will prevent us from seeing 100-Page FAKES! here in their entirety, though I do share the whole thing with my patrons. 100-Page FAKES! continues. They're not real. They are spectacular.





TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment