Saturday, April 13, 2019

Rockin' Pop Format Du Jour



I was thinking about the many different formats we've used to own favorite songs over the years. For each different format--45, eight-track, CD, etc.--I started trying to list a song I owned in that format before owning it in any other format.

45: James Brown, "Cold Sweat"
7" EP: The Nerves, "Hanging On The Telephone"
10" EP: The Clash, "Capital Radio One"
12" SINGLE: The Ramones, "Bonzo Goes To Bitburg"
LP: The Sex Pistols, "Pretty Vacant"
EIGHT-TRACK: Paul Revere & the Raiders, "Like, Long Hair"
CASSETTE: The New York Dolls, "Babylon"
FLEXI-DISC: R.E.M., "Wolves, Lower"
CARDBOARD CUT-OUT RECORD: The Archies, "Bang Shang A Lang"
VHS: The Beatles, "Shout"
CD: The dB's, "Love Is For Lovers"
DVD: The Iveys, "Maybe Tomorrow"
CD + G: The Flamin' Groovies, "Tallahassee Lassie"
CD-ROM: The Monkees, "If I Learned To Play The Violin"
mp3: Amy Rigby, "Dancing With Joey Ramone"
DIGITAL ALBUM: The Cocktail Slippers, "St. Valentine's Day Massacre"




I did own some 78s, but I can't remember a single example of a song I owned in that format. I also owned a 3" CD by The Raspberries, but all of its songs were already in my collection prior to that purchase. My mini-discs were all homemade. No cylinders, no reel-to-reels, and nothing 16 rpm. My modest stash of blu-rays contains no music I didn't previously own in some format or another. My Super-8 movies were silent. Oh, and just to stretch the point:

SHEET MUSIC: The Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again"

Okay, maybe you won't get fooled again. Me? Jury's still out on that one.




TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 


Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe FlashcubesChris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. A digital download version (minus The Smithereens' track) is also available from Futureman Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment