Saturday, January 23, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: The Pulps

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a look back at how I discovered pulp magazines.

This is sort of a sequel to a previous piece called "Superpulp Paperbacks," which reminisced about my embrace of pulp and superhero paperback novels when I was a teen in the '70s. That appeared at Pop-A-Looza one week ago today (as discussed here). That 1/16/2021 post included links to more pulp memories of The Shadow and Doc Savage, and links to some of my attempts to write some pulp of my own. 

It occurs to me that I should have included links to my tentative attempt to write The Green Hornet. Although the Hornet and his enforcer Kato never appeared in pulps, their 1930s and '40s radio exploits were certainly at least an appropriate tangent. I come to the characters via the 1966-67 TV series (as explained here), and my unfinished rock 'n' roll Green Hornet story "The Beat And The Sting" is set in the continuity of the TV show. I got as far as writing a teaser blurb and the first few pages of a comic book script before setting the project aside.

(I also should have included one other completed [but unsold] work: my music industry short story "Home Of The Hits.")

We have a few more pulp- and paperback-related pieces planned to run over at Pop-A-Looza in the very near future. And my discovery of pulp magazines serves as the subject for the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1). My weekly Greatest Record Ever Made! video rants can be seen in my GREM! YouTube playlist. And I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment