Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Fake THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO Playlist: The Everlasting Second

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl is simply too large a concept to be neatly contained within a mere three-hour weekly time slot. Hence these occasional fake TIRnRR playlists, detailing shows we're never really going to do...but could.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression, right? But second impressions count, too. Today's exercise in TIRnRR playlist fakery gathers a bunch of tracks that were, to my best recollection, the second song I remember hearing from each of these fine acts. We've got B-sides, follow-up radio hits, second tracks on an LP's first side, the second song performed on an introductory TV performance, and even a case or two where I heard an act's new song contemporary to its release and then discovered an older track by the same act later on.

As always, I'm not exactly under oath here. But this is a good-faith effort to recall the songs that served as my second exposures to some performers that got my attention, one song at a time. Ready to rock? Let's go! A-one and a-TWO...!

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl--y'know, the real one--airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

Fake TIRnRR Playlist: The Everlasting Second [song in brackets was the first song I recall hearing by the artist listed]

THE GO-GO'S: Our Lips Are Sealed [We Got The Beat]
THE SEX PISTOLS: Did You No Wrong [God Save The Queen]
SWEET: Blockbuster [Little Willy]
PATTI SMITH: Gloria [Ask The Angels]
DAVE EDMUNDS: Da Doo Ron Ron [I Hear You Knocking]
THE ROMANTICS: I Can't Tell You Anything [Little White Lies]
--
THE FLAMIN' GROOVIES: Shake Some Action [Misery]
THE NEW YORK DOLLS: Who Are The Mystery Girls? [Personality Crisis]
THE BARBARIANS: Take It Or Leave It [Are You A Boy Or Are You A Girl]
THE ROYAL GUARDSMEN: Liberty Valance [Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron]
QUINCY: Turn The Other Way Around [Critics Choice]
FOOLS FACE: Public Places [L5]
--
THE RECORDS: Paint Her Face [Starry Eyes]
THE BONGOS: In The Congo [Telephoto Lens]
THE dB'S: We Should Be In Bed [Death Garage]
TRANSLATOR: Everywhere That I'm Not [Un-Alone]
RICK JAMES: Super Freak [Give It To Me Baby]
TELEVISION: See No Evil [Elevation]
--
THE VELVET UNDERGROUND: Waiting For The Man [Sunday Morning]
IGGY POP: I'm Bored [Five Foot One]
DONNA SUMMER: I Feel Love [Love To Love You Baby]
LOVE: Can't Explain [My Little Red Book]
TALKING HEADS: I Wish You Wouldn't Say That [Uh-Oh, Love Comes To Town]
EYTAN MIRSKY: Record Collection [Outta Sight!]
--
THE HOODOO GURUS: I Want You Back [(Let's All) Turn On]
THE PRETENDERS: Tattooed Love Boys [Kid]
THE CREATION: Painter Man [Making Time]
THE DEAD BOYS: All This And More [Sonic Reducer]
JOE JACKSON: Sunday Papers [Is She Really Going Out With Him?]
R.E.M.: Radio Free Europe [Wolves, Lower]
--
THE BAY CITY ROLLERS: Money Honey [Saturday Night]
BLUE ÖYSTER CULT: This Ain't The Summer Of Love [Don't Fear The Reaper]
THE JAM: In The City [The Batman Theme]
JOHNNY NASH: Stir It Up [I Can See Clearly Now]
THE BLUES MAGOOS: Gotta Get Away [(We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet]
THE BARRACUDAS: Violent Times [I Can't Pretend]
--
MÖTORHEAD: Ace Of Spades [Motorhead]
KISS: Beth [Rock And Roll All Nite]
THE CHESTERFIELD KINGS: I Can Only Give You Everything [Hey Little Bird]
THE DAMNED: New Rose [Stab Yer Back]
THE MOSQUITOS: That Was Then, This Is Now [Darn Well]
BLONDIE: You Look Good In Blue [X-Offender]
--
MARY-CHAPIN CARPENTER: He Thinks He'll Keep Her [Never Had It So Good]
NICK LOWE: Heart Of The City [So It Goes]
THE HEARTBREAKERS: Chinese Rocks [Milk Me]
LET'S ACTIVE: Blue Line [Every Word Means No]
SLADE: Cum On Feel The Noize [Gudbuy T' Jane]
THE CARS: My Best Friend's Girl [Just What I Needed]
--
CHEAP TRICK: Surrender [So Good To See You]
THE RUBINOOS: Rock And Roll Is Dead [I Think We're Alone Now]
FANNY: Let's Spend The Night Together [I've Had it]
EDDIE & THE HOT RODS: Ignore Them (Always Crashing In The Same Bar) [Do Anything You Wanna Do]
THE CLASH: London's Burning [Remote Control]
THE TURTLES: She'd Rather Be With Me [Happy Together]
THE NERVES: When You Find Out [Hanging On The Telephone]
PRINCE: 1999 [I Wanna Be Your Lover]

No comments:

Post a Comment