Tuesday, February 8, 2022

THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (VOLUME 1): My Video Rants


As I think I've mentioned here a time or too much, I've been writing a book called The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1), dedicated to the notion that an infinite number of tracks can each be THE greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. I finished slapping together that long-threatened book in January, and I'm currently going through revisions and trying to figure out where to go next. It's my hope that this labor of love will find a viable path to publication. Wouldn't that be nice?

In 2020 and 2021, when the GREM! project was still taking shape, I started a series of video rants on its behalf. I did a total of 34 of these videos, roughly one a week, from October of 2020 until June of 2021. By then, I'd grown frustrated with the book's lack of traction, but especially with people complaining that a video blog intended to promote a book of my essays featured...me, talking about a song in my book, rather than a video of the song itself. Yeah, I've got a lot of nerve.

Anyway, here's a complete list of links to my Greatest Record Ever Made! videos. THERE ARE NO ACTUAL SONGS AT ANY OF THESE LINKS. I may return to do more videos as plans for the book materialize. These are the ones I've done so far.

GREM! # 34: The Spongetones, "(My Girl) Maryanne"

GREM! # 33: Merle Haggard, "Mama Tried"

GREM! # 32: The Monkees, "Porpoise Song (Theme From Head)

GREM! # 31Translator, "Everywhere That I'm Not"

GREM! # 30: The Go-Go's, "We Got The Beat"

GREM! # 29: The Grateful Dead, "Uncle John's Band"

GREM! # 28: Sam Cooke, "Chain Gang"

GREM! # 27: The Wonders, "That Thing You Do!"

GREM! # 26: Johnny Nash, "I Can See Clearly Now"

GREM! # 25: Aretha Franklin, "Respect"

GREM! # 24: Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here"

GREM! # 23: The Carpenters, "Only Yesterday" and Material Issue, "Kim The Waitress"

GREM! # 22: The Beatles,"Yesterday"

GREM! # 21: The Bay City Rollers, "Rock And Roll Love Letter"

GREM! # 20: Buddy Holly, "Peggy Sue"/"Everyday"

GREM! # 19: The Monkees, "The Girl I Knew Somewhere"

GREM! # 18: Melanie with the Edwin Hawking Singers, "Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)"

GREM! # 17: The Romantics, "What I Like About You"

GREM! # 16: The Hollies, "I Can't Let Go"

GREM! # 14: Crazy Elephant, "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'"

GREM! # 13: Neil Diamond, "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show"

GREM! # 12: Little Richard, "The Girl Can't Help It"

GREM! # 11: Eytan Mirsky, "This Year's Gonna Be Our Year"

GREM! # 10: The Monkees, "Riu Chiu"

GREM! # 9: Patti Smith, "Gloria"

GREM! # 8: Big Mama Thornton, "Hound Dog"

GREM! # 7: Elvis Presley, "Heartbreak Hotel"

GREM! # 6The Sex Pistols,"God Save The Queen"

GREM! # 5: Dusty Springfield,"I Only Want To Be With You"

GREM! # 4: Chuck Berry, "Promised Land"

GREM! # 3: Baron Daemon and the Vampires, "The TransylvaniaTwist"

GREM! # 2: Badfinger, "Baby Blue"

GREM! # 1: The Ramones, "Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio?

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment