Thursday, February 10, 2022

10 SONGS: 2/10/2022

10 Songs is a weekly list of ten songs that happen to be on my mind at the moment. The lists are usually dominated by songs played on the previous Sunday night's edition of This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl. The idea was inspired by Don Valentine of the essential blog I Don't Hear A Single.


This week's edition of 10 Songs draws exclusively from the playlist for This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio # 1115.

CHEAP STAR: Flower Girl


Man, ya gotta appreciate a band that creates its name by mashing up the monikers of power pop touchstones
Cheap Trick and Big Star. Playin' directly into the ol' TIRnRR demographic. Rather than bludgeoning the idea by calling their new album Heaven City or Radio Tonight, Cheap Star's latest is Wish I Could See, and we opened this week's extravaganza with a spin of "Flower Girl." Intrepid TIRnRR listener Mike Browning found the track pleasantly reminiscent of Nada Surf, and we approve of that message. 

BALLZY TOMORROW: Double Our Numbers


Everyone's musical pal Robbie Rist is a big fan of Parthenon Huxley. That's a right worthy thing to be, and our own story of falling under the delightful thrall of P. Hux was told way back here. My favorite among Parthenon Huxley favorites is the sublime "Double Our Numbers," an absolutely irresistible little--no, BIG!!--number that appeared on Parthenon's 1988 album Sunny Nights. We know Robbie also loves the song; he's said so more than once, and several years ago he posted a video of himself performing an acoustic cover of the song. More recently, Robbie recorded a new version of "Double Your Numbers" under his nom du pummel Ballzy Tomorrow. It's a wonderful cover of a wonderful song. I wish some sort of Powers That Be would return Sunny Nights to proper retail availability, and I really wish more and more people recognized "Double Our Numbers" as the rockin' pop classic it is. In the mean time: take it, Robbie! 

THE LINDA LINDAS: Growing Up


All last year, we routinely referred to the young quartet called the Linda Lindas as "the buzz band of 2021." It looks like Bela, Eloise, Lucia, and Mila have their eye on claiming 2022 as well, with the forthcoming release of their first album, Growing Up. The album's due in April, but available for preorder right now. The preorder gets you the title track (and previous single tracks "Oh!" and "Nina") in that very same right-now time frame. GO! Get it! Buzz waits for no one.

PALMYRA DELRAN AND THE DOPPEL GANG: Lucky In Love


For someone who is--in theory!--wired into the phantasmagoric splendor of today's now sound, it's appalling how much stuff I just miss. Y'know, if I could afford to pay attention, I would pay attention. Will attention accept an IOU?

Case in point: this yummy digital single from Palmyra Delran and the Doppel Gang. "Lucky In Love" (virtually backed by a cover of Tuff Darts' tres pop "Who's Been Sleeping Here?") came out a freakin' year ago, and I just managed to hear it in this far-future world of 2022. I need better minions. Or maybe some minions. A minion. Or at least something resembling peripheral awareness.

Ah, but any track you ain't heard is a new track, and "Lucky In Love" is for damned sure worth waiting for anyway. Famed rocker and Underground Garage personality Palmyra's gang o' doppels includes the one 'n' only Michael Lynch, and both tracks are as fab as fab can be. Fabber, even. I wish we'd played 'em last year. We're happy to play 'em now.

TONY VALENTINO: Barracuda


Like many of my fellow Americans, my first exposure to
the Standells was when the group guest-starred as domestic ersatz Beatles on a 1964 episode of TV's The Munsters, wherein unassailable pop pundit Herman Munster indicated he would sleep easier knowing the future of our country was in the hands of fine young men like the Standells. They would go on to become one-hit wonders for "Dirty Water" in 1966, but they also had a number of lesser chart hits that deserved wider notoriety. The rise of the Nuggets critical aesthetic in the '70s and '80s brought an embrace of '60s garage and punk, and that embrace proudly acclaimed Standells perennials like "Riot On The Sunset Strip," "Why Pick On Me," the pounding "Dirty Water" B-side "Rari," and (my favorite) "Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White."

Guitarist Tony Valentino was a founding member of the mighty Standells, and he's still active as a recording artist for Big Stir Records. Tony made his post-Standells TIRnRR debut as a guest of the Forty Nineteens, playing on that group's single "Late Night Radio" (which then appeared on the Forty Nineteens' 2021 album New Roaring Twenties). Now, Tony returns with a new single, offering a new version of the Standells' "Barracuda." Somewhere, Herman Munster is smiling. Right here, we're smiling, too.

THE JIVE FIVE: Hully Gully Callin' Time


While the Jive Five's biggest hit was the 1961 doo-wop gem "My True Story," TIRnRR's go-to Jive Five track has generally been "What Time Is It?," a dreamy recording that earns a place in my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). We've played a couple of other Jive Five selections over the years, but this week offers the first-ever TIRnRR spin of "Hully Gully Callin' Time." And it makes its way to the playlist because I discovered that one of the song's credited songwriters was one Joyce Cafarelli. I have no idea whether or not this Joyce Cafarelli was any distant relation to my family--Third Cousin Joyce? Honorary Aunt Joyce? Jivin' Sister Joyce, who never writes, never calls, never shows up at weddings or funerals?--but I can state with some authority that we have yet to see any royalties. Hey! Joyce! What about your family...?!

(Oddly enough, though I'm actually pretty sure I'm not really kin to Joyce Cafarelli, the song's title does make me remember something about my Dad. Dad wasn't really a rock 'n' roll fan, saying he preferred "pre-Pearl Harbor music" to the bangin' and twangin' that captured his youngest son's fancy. In our sporadic and amiable conversations about the rock and the roll, Daddy almost always made some reference to the Hully Gully. Like, many times, over the course of decades. Coincidence? I think so. But...maybe not? It would be a cool connection if true.

DUSTY SPRINGFIELD: I Only Want To Be With You


THE MONKEES: Listen To The Band


No, it was not a surprise when the Monkees were once again snubbed by this year's list of nominations for The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Just because the RnRHOF nominating board is clueless doesn't mean we have to be. Listen to the band.

THE BLUSTERFIELDS: Insomnia


Let's talk about the Blusterfields. The North Carolina lads' debut album The Vicious Afterglow opens with all the bluster 'n' aggro of an arena show, but all in service to a higher pop calling. You've got your sway. You've got your hooks. You've got your volume, and you've got your sweet, anthemic-sounding singalong vocals. The Blusterfields do not seem to be lacking in confidence, and their confidence is justified. Let's talk about the Blusterfields. And let's say those three little words we need to say: Turn. It. UP.

TODD RUNDGREN: Couldn't I Just Tell You


Todd Rundgren's essential double album Something/Anything? just turned an ever-spry 50 freakin' years old. I'm not quite the Todd fan that many of my peers are, but I am very fond of a number of individual things he did, including his '60s days with the Nazz and his '80s Fab Four pastiche Deface The Music. I've owned a copy of Something/Anything? for more than 40 years, a set secured when I traded a gift of Eagles' Greatest Hits for this sprawling 2-LP magnum opus

I got it specifically for "Couldn't I Just Tell You." I had seen Rundgren perform the song 
with Utopia on a 1978 TV appearance on The Mike Douglas Show. Our Todd introduced it as "an example of the latest musical trend. It's called power pop." I knew the song before that, but this was when it really grabbed my attention. Here's an excerpt from the song's entry in The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1):

"Even though 'Couldn't I Just Tell You' wasn't a hit, I knew the song from somewhere. Maybe it got some play on WOLF-AM, falling into the airwaves in between our Todd's big hits 'I Saw The Light' and 'Hello It's Me' [both from Something/Anything?]. Maybe I picked up on it some time later, perhaps as an older track dusted off for a fresh spin by an FM radio DJ after I switched preferred frequencies.

"I wasn't necessarily a Todd Rundgren fan, at least not specifically. He was fine, but aside from hearing "Hello It's Me" and later his remake of the Beach Boys' 'Good Vibrations,' he wasn't really part of my conscious pop thought. I knew him more as a guy who (I'd read somewhere) sported multi-colored hair, and whose ladyfriend was Playboy centerfold Bebe Buell. I liked him, but didn't think much about him.

"But that song....

"'Couldn't I Just Tell You' lurked within the gauzy borders of my subconscious, a welcome guest however it was that it got there. It settled comfortably in my mind's terra incognita, itself a phrase I picked up from a girl I fancied. I could have sung the song to her if I'd thought of it.

"The tentative dance of teen infatuation, captured in microcosm, made pretty with the sound of (apparently) the latest musical trend.

"Seeing and hearing Utopia perform 'Couldn't I Just Tell You' on The Mike Douglas Show in '78 brought all of this subconscious thought to the surface, elevating the song immediately and forever thereafter to my own Top of the Pops. Immediately after the show was over, I phoned another girl I knew, just to say, Did you see THAT...?!

"By 1978, my eighteen-year-old self had already suffered and--damn me--inflicted some broken hearts. I had also discovered a name for my favorite sounds: power pop. The latest musical trend. Todd Rundgren may not have thought much of it. I sure did. And on this song, Todd Rundgren accomplished it, fully and with great authority. Why don't you lend me an ear, I'll make it perfectly clear, I love you. Harmonies and guitars. A crush can lead to more. And it can sound magnificent, regardless of whether or not it ever starts to trend."



Y
ou can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment