Saturday, April 9, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA: Pop With POWER!

 

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared is an essay about power pop music, "Pop With POWER!"

This piece was written for the sixth issue of Big Stir magazine, the epic IS THIS POWER POP? special edition. You should oughtta buy yourself a copy of that. I was honored to participate, and gratified to continue with my long-term goal of appearing in each and every issue of Big Stir. Six for six, baby! I wrote the introduction to Big Stir's first issue, and reprised blog pieces about Buddy Holly, the Bay City Rollers, Percy Faith (no, really!), and a letter to my 17-year-old self in subsequent issues. I also wrote the liner notes for Big Stir Singles: The Fourth Wave. It's safe to conclude that I dig Big Stir. I dig 'em the most.


I also dig power pop. Skipping single-artist pieces, here are a few things I've written on this familiar subject of pop with power:

The Kids Are Alright! The History Of Power Pop

The Secret History Of Power Pop [co-written with Gary Pig Gold]

East Coast Bands Are Hip (And Why I Don't Wish They All Could Be California Bands)

Shake Some Action [unfinished and abandoned power pop book proposal]

Power Pop 101

Bomp! magazine

Poptopia! Power Pop Classics Of The '90s liner notes

My Top Ten Power Pop Acts

Power Pop Q & A (Crib Notes From The Modern Pop Underground) [S. W. Lauden's interview with me for his own power pop essay]

And we'll cheat with one recent artist-specific piece:

Flashcubes On Fire liner notes

I'm tempted to say that "Pop With POWER!" will be my last word on the subject, but who am I kidding? I'll have more to say, and a blog to help me say it. For now, "Pop With POWER!" is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider  supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment