Friday, August 9, 2024

Fake THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO Playlist: 45 Reflections Per Minute--The Sequel!

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio is simply too large a concept to be neatly contained within a mere three-hour weekly time slot. Hence these occasional fake TIRnRR playlists, detailing shows we're never really going to do...but could.

I did this one before, but that was waaaaaay back in 2018. Time for a sequel! Here's another imaginary playlist built out of 45s I owned at one time or another. No repeats from the previous list, but let's revisit a bit of what I said about the subject in 2018:

I think it was writer Dave Marsh who said that the 45 rpm single is the building block of rock 'n' roll. I couldn't agree more. Before concept albums and triple-LP live sets, before cassettes and CDs and digital files, even before we learned to appreciate the value of a rock 'n' roll album at all, the incandescent appeal of rockin' pop music was discovered and experienced primarily on singles.

This fake This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio playlist celebrates the single; specifically, it celebrates my singles, 45s I bought for myself at some point in my life. My fascination with 45s goes back to my earliest memories: spinning singles on my hand, pretending I was a record player; accompanying my parents to J.M. Fields to pick out new 7" prizes; watching the jukebox at The Moose Club in Syracuse, as the machine placed each little platter in place on its dome-shielded turntable, and rock 'n' roll music poured forth; and, of course, listening to these compact treasures, on the family hi-fi or on my portable player. I had albums, too; in elementary school, I owned Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron by the Royal Guardsmen and California Nights by Lesley Gore. But mostly, I had 45s. I'd start accumulating LPs as a teenager, and I kept on scoring more 45s all the while.

For this exercise, I've (mostly) limited selections to 45s that I purchased with my own money, generally omitting gifts, promos, and legacies left in the family library as siblings moved out. With very few exceptions, each of these tracks is from a 45 I wanted enough to surrender money in exchange for it. Sometimes I wanted the hit. Sometimes I wanted a non-album B-side. Sometimes it was a record I'd never heard before, but which somehow intrigued me enough to buy it anyway. I bought them new and used, at record stores, flea markets, rummage sales, via mail order, from friends seeking to prune their own collections in favor of beer money, even directly from a performer. All known resources were called upon to fill my box of 45s.

For now, put another dime in the jukebox, baby: It's 45 time!

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl--y'know, the real one--airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read all about this show's long and weird history here: Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (The History Of THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO). TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS are always welcome.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

PS: SEND MONEY!!!! We need tech upgrades like Elvis needs boats. Spark Syracuse is supported by listeners like you. Tax-deductible donations are welcome at 
http://sparksyracuse.org/support/

You can follow Carl's daily blog Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) at 
https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/

Fake TIRnRR Playlist: 45 Reflections Per Minute--The Sequel!

CHERIE AND MARIE CURRIE: Since You've Been Gone
THE KNACK: My Sharona
OINGO BOINGO: Only A Lad
THE JIVE FIVE: What Time Is It
THE KINKS: Prince Of The Punks
QUEEN: Crazy Little Thing Called Love
--
NEW MATH: Die Trying
THE ZOMBIES: Time Of The Season
THE RAMONES: Babysitter
THE CREATION: Making Time
THE MYSTIC EYES: My Time To Leave
JAMES BROWN: Don't Be A Drop-Out
--
ARTHUR CONLEY: Sweet Soul Music
THE BABYS: Isn't It Time
THE RECORDS: Paint Her Face
THE LOVIN' SPOONFUL: She Is Still A Mystery
THE HOLLIES: Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress
PUBLIC IMAGE LTD: Public Image
--
ACE FREHLEY: New York Groove
THE MOST: Take A Chance
GEORGE THOROGOOD AND THE DESTROYERS: Move It On Over
EDWIN STARR: War
BOW WOW WOW: I Want Candy
THE FOUR TOPS: Are You Man Enough
--
THE YARDBIRDS: Over Under Sideways Down
GENERATION X: Ready Steady Go
THE WHO: I Can See For Miles
WILSON PICKETT: Hey Jude
THE OHMS: Chain Letter
THE NERVES: When You Find Out
--
? AND THE MYSTERIANS: 96 Tears
JOE "KING" CARRASCO AND THE CROWNS: Houston El Mover
EDDIE MURPHY: Party All The Time
THE MONKEES: Goin' Down
THE GO-GO'S: Vacation
ARETHA FRANKLIN: Respect
--
EDDIE AND THE HOT RODS: Do Anything You Wanna Do
FONTELLA BASS: Rescue Me
THE TEARJERKERS: Syracuse Summer
THE VOGUES: Five O'Clock World
AC/DC: You Shook Me All Night Long
PAUL AND LINDA McCARTNEY: Another Day
--
THE FLIRTATIONS: Nothing But A Heartache
TOMMY TUTONE: 867-5309/Jenny
THE NATIVES: Tell Me A Story
BADFINGER: Day After Day
THE MARVELETTES: The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game
THE ROMANTICS: Tell It To Carrie
THE EASYBEATS: Friday On My Mind
THE STANDELLS: Rari
--
THE FLASHCUBES: Hey Miss Betty
AMY BOLTON: Do Me A Favor
RUFUS: Tell Me Something Good
ROBBIE RIST: Luvotomy
THE ROLLING STONES: I Wanna Be Your Man
SHRAPNEL: Go Cruisin'
STANLEY FRANK: S'cool Days
THE KINGSMEN: Louie, Louie
--
THE SEX PISTOLS: Pretty Vacant

No comments:

Post a Comment