Monday, August 26, 2024

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio # 1248


Our Featured Performer this week is the late, great Greg Kihn, with performances by Kihn and the Greg Kihn Band, an example of Kihn's collaboration with guitar hero Joe Satriani, and Kihn singing backup on Jonathan Richman's "Roadrunner," plus Joan Jett and the Blackhearts with "Be Straight," a song co-written by Kihn (with Jett and her manager Kenny Laguna). We filled out the rockin' pop radio party with all sorts of our expected and prerequisite shots of sonic bliss, new and old. But the show is dedicated to the memory of Greg Kihn.

I interviewed Kihn for Goldmine magazine in 1995. The resulting article was published in Goldmine's power pop issue in January of 1996. You can read the entire article here, but I want a few lines from the end of that piece entered into the official TIRnRR record:

"Ten years ago, I was a rock star," said Kihn, "with a # 1 record, [NOTE: # 2, actually--damn, that Michael Jackson and his "Beat It!."], and just cruisin' through life with a model wife, drivin' a sports car. 

"Now here it is, 10 years later. I'm not a rock star. I'm Greg Kihn. You know, Greg Kihn transcends rock star," Kihn claimed, laughing. "I mean, it's not like I'm trying to be anything. You know, me playing the role of a rock star was just not me. If you give me a million bucks, I'd still wear a T-shirt and jeans, I'd still drive a crappy car. I'm just that kind of guy. I still go to the used bookstore, for Christ's sake, even though I could afford new books. I like finding old '50s paperbacks of Harlan Ellison and stuff. I got a couple of bookstores out here in San Francisco I go to that specialize in the good stuff, the stuff you're not going to find at Waldenbooks. There's a great literary tradition out here in San Francisco, from the Beats on. And it's really interesting when you walk down the streets of North Beach and it's raining, and you get that Jack Kerouac kind of feel."

Ultimately, it's clear that Kihn has held on to the sheer enthusiasm and elusive sense of wonder that lies at the heart of the greatest rock, pop, and soul. "When I'm an old man," said Kihn, "and I tell my grandchildren that I was a rock and roll star in the '70s and '80s in California--you know, it's a magical thing. And it'd be like being a big band leader during the Goodman era, or being a rockabilly cat in Memphis in the '50s. I mean, it's just a magical time. I never get over it, that I was in the right place at the right time, and it's just a great thing. And when I look back on all this shit," Kihn said with one more laugh, "It just seems so cool."

Everyman. Pop star. Godspeed, Greg Kihn. This is what rock 'n' roll radio sounded like on another Sunday night in Syracuse this week.

Hey, NEXT WEEK! It's The 13th Annual DANA'S FUNKY SOUL PIT! Attendance is mandatory. 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream, and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio

You can read all about this show's long and weird history here: Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (The History Of THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO)

TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS are always welcome.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download
Volume 5: CD or download

HEY! Looking for something to read? Check out Carl's books Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones and the brand-new The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). You can also follow Carl's daily blog Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) at https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/ If you would like to receive links to each day's blog, please reply to this email.

TIRnRR # 1248: 8/25/2024
TIRnRR FRESH SPINS! Tracks we think we ain't played before are listed in bold.

THE GREG KIHN BAND: Reunited (Beserkley, Kihntagious)
THE RUBINOOS: I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend (Castle, Everything You Always Wanted To Know About The Rubinoos But Were Afraid To Ask)
LIBRARIANS WITH HICKEYS: Hello Operator (Big Stir, single)
NRBQ: I Got A Rocket In My Pocket (Omnivore, All Hopped Up)
ELENA ROGERS: I Feel Alive (Eats Dynamite, Prelude To Whatever)
--
BLUE ASH: Abracadabra (Have You Seen Her) (Collectors' Choice Music, No More, No Less)
GREG KIHN: Hurt So Bad (Beserkley, Greg Kihn Again)
THE FLAMIN' GROOVIES: You Tore Me Down (Grown Up Wrong!, Between The Lines)
--
THE ANDERSON COUNCIL: She Steals Candy (unreleased)
ARETHA FRANKLIN: Save Me (Atlantic, I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You)
THE GREG KIHN BAND: Happy Man (Beserkley, Kihntinued)
--
GREG KIHN: For You (Beserkley, Greg Kihn Again)
THE BEAT: Don't Wait Up For Me (Wagon Wheel, The Beat)
DENNIS SCHOCKET AND CLIFF HILLIS: Here Comes Joanna (n/a, Pop, Girls, Etc.)
sparkle*jets u.k.: Love Burn (Big Stir, Box Of Letters)
THE ASSOCIATION: Blistered (Collectors' Choice Music, And Then Along Comes...The Association)
--
JON FLYNN: Game You're Playing (Kool Kat Musik, Cherry Cherry)
THE MOSQUITOS: I'll Just Hide (Kool Kat Musik, This Then Are The Mosquitos!)
GREG KIHN: Any Other Woman (Beserkley, Greg Kihn)
TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS: Forgotten Man (Reprise, Hypnotic Eye)
THE FLASHCUBES: Forget About You (Big Stir, Pop Masters)
X-RAY SPEX: I Can't Do Anything (Sanctuary, Germfree Adolescents)
--
THE HALF/CUBES: Make You Cry (Big Stir, Pop Treasures)
TOM CURLESS AND THE 46 %: I'm The Man Who Murdered Love (Futureman, VA: Garden Of Earthly Delights--An XTC Celebration [digital version])
JOHNATHAN RICHMAN: Roadrunner (Ariola, VA: Geef Voor New Wave)
TAMAR BERK: You Trigger Me (n/a, Good Times For A Change)
PIXIES: Here Comes Your Man (4AD, Pixies)
--
The Greatest Record Ever Made!
THE GREG KIHN BAND: The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em) (Beserkley, Rockihnroll)
TRACEY ULLMAN: Breakaway (Rhino, You Broke My Heart In 17 Places: The Best Of Tracey Ullman)
ROB MOSS AND SKIN-TIGHT SKIN: What Happened (To The Rock 'n' Roll?) (n/a, Records)
BILLY BURNETTE: Rockin' L.A. (Columbia, Billy Burnette)
THE RAMONES: Rockaway Beach (Rhino, Rocket To Russia)
BRINSLEY SCHWARZ: Everybody (Decal, It's All Over Now)
--
THE CHAMBERS BROTHERS: Time Has Come Today (Columbia, The Time Has Come: The Best Of The Chambers Brothers)
THE MANIACS: Now I Know (Arf! Arf!, VA: Yeah Yeah Yeah)
THE BEATLES: From Me To You (Apple, Please Please Me)
GREG KIHN: Sorry (Beserkley, Next Of Kihn)
HERMAN'S HERMITS: A Must To Avoid (EMI, Singles Collection +)
THE POPPEES: She's Got It (Bomp!, Pop Goes The Anthology)
--
JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS: Be Straight (Blackheart, I Love Rock N' Roll)
RICHARD HELL AND THE VOIDOIDS: Blank Generation (Sire, Blank Generation)
THE MONKEES: (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone (Rhino, More Of The Monkees)
THE MIAMIS: We Deliver [alternate version] (Omnivore, We Deliver: The Lost Band Of The CBGB Era [1974-1979])
BILLY OCEAN: L.O.D. (Love On Delivery) (Varese Sarabande, VA: Soulful Pop)
THE MIGHTY LEMON DROPS: Hear Me Call [demo] (Cherry Red, Inside Out: 1985-1990)
GREG KIHN [WITH JOE SATRIANI]: Love And Rock And Roll (EMI America, Love And Rock And Roll)
THE PRETENDERS: Precious [Regent Park demo] (Rhino, Pirate Radio 1979-2005)
--
THE GREG KIHN BAND: Testify (Beserkley, Kihntinued)
THE MONKEES: For Pete's Sake [TV version] (Rhino, Headquarters [& More])

No comments:

Post a Comment