Saturday, June 17, 2023

Fake THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO Playlist: Dormitory Music [a snapshot of what I was listening to while I was away at college]

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl is simply too large a concept to be neatly contained within a mere three-hour weekly time slot. Hence these occasional fake TIRnRR playlists, detailing shows we're never really going to do...but could.

Following up on a recent fake TIRnRR playlist collecting tracks that were part of my immediate post-college apartment music (for the two years I lived in my first apartment), here's a playlist built with stuff I was playing when I lived in the dorms.

I was only in college for three years; the program in which I was enrolled allowed me to accrue enough credits to secure my BA in English within that time. I lived on campus for the whole three-year tour, and there were even occasional bursts of studying to punctuate my recreational reading, drinking, attempting to meet gurls, and--of course!--the ritual spinning of records.

I was 17 when I entered college, 20 when I graduated. That's a great period of discovery, and I was in my freshman dorm room, listening to the campus radio station, when I first heard the Ramones. That sure had a lasting impact on impressionable li'l teen me! 

This playlist only includes tracks I recall owning and playing in my dorm rooms, 1977-1980. It deliberately excludes stuff I associate with hearing during my school breaks; "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker," for example, was a Thanksgiving break revelation. The music I played during the summers of '78 and '79 will likely provide another fake TIRnRR playlist in the very near future.

Meanwhile: TIME FOR AN ALL-NIGHTER! I have an essay due tomorrow morning, and the book I'm analyzing ain't exactly gonna read itself, dig? Crank up some tunes to accompany our scholarly pursuits. Or our illusion of scholarly pursuits. Whatever. Let's hear some dorm music.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl--y'know, the real one--airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at westcottradio.org You can read all about this show's long and weird history here: Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (The History Of THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO). TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS are always welcome.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download
***And NOW AVAILABLE! This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 5!***
     CD or download

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!!

You can follow Carl's daily blog Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) at 
https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/

FAKE TIRnRR PLAYLIST: Dormitory Music [a snapshot of what I was listening to while I was away at college]

THE RUNAWAYS: School Days
THE DAVE CLARK FIVE: Concentration Baby
EDDIE & THE HOT RODS: Do Anything You Wanna Do
THE RAMONES: Babysitter
THE JAM: I Need You (For Someone)
KISS: Then She Kissed Me
--
THE MONKEES: Daily Nightly
SIOUSXIE & THE BANSHEES: Hong Kong Garden
THE BEAU BRUMMELS: Don't Talk To Strangers
THE ROLLING STONES: Shattered
THE SEX PISTOLS: No Feelings
TELEVISION: Elevation
--
CLIFF RICHARD: Blue Turns To Grey
THE 13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS: You're Gonna Miss Me
RADIO BIRDMAN: Aloha Steve And Danno
THE CLASH: Capital Radio
DAVID JOHANSEN: Girls
THE YARDBIRDS: Heart Full Of Soul
--
THE B-52'S: 52 Girls
THE SCRUFFS: Revenge
JOHNNY THUNDERS: You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory
THE PRETENDERS: Tattooed Love Boys
BLONDIE: Accidents Never Happen
THE KINKS: Set Me Free
--
THE MOST: Take A Chance
THE RICH KIDS: Rich Kids
THE VOGUES: Five O'Clock World
GENERATION X: Ready Steady Go
THE KNICKERBOCKERS: Lies
THE POPPEES: Jealousy
--
THE FLASHCUBES: Wait Till Next Week
THE FIREBALLS: Bottle Of Wine
999: Let's Face It
THE VILLAGE PEOPLE: Sleazy
THE BEATLES: Crying, Waiting, Hoping
THE RUTLES: I Must Be In Love
--
THE ANIMALS: It's My Life
THE BAY CITY ROLLERS: Sweet Virginia
TOMMY ROE: Dizzy
WILLIE ALEXANDER & THE BOOM BOOM BAND: You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling
THE DICTATORS: Science Gone Too Far!
THE RUBINOOS: Wouldn't It Be Nice
--
ELVIS COSTELLO: Watching The Detectives
HERMAN'S HERMITS: A Must To Avoid
FLEETWOOD MAC: Second Hand News
THE LOVIN' SPOONFUL: She Is Still A Mystery
THE PLEASERS: The Kids Are Alright
CHERRY VANILLA: The Punk
NEW MATH: Die Trying
PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS: Let Me!
--
THE BEACH BOYS: Sloop John B
BLUE ÖYSTER CULT: This Ain't The Summer Of Love
BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD: Mr. Soul
THE PATTI SMITH GROUP: Because The Night
IGGY POP: I'm Bored
THE HEARTBREAKERS: Chinese Rocks
THE YOUNG RASCALS: Good Lovin'
NICK LOWE: So It Goes
--
THE RESIDENTS: Hitler Was A Vegetarian [excerpt]

No comments:

Post a Comment