Saturday, June 24, 2023

Fake THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO Playlist: Summer Break Music [a snapshot of what I was listening to when college was out for the summer]

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl is simply too large a concept to be neatly contained within a mere three-hour weekly time slot. Hence these occasional fake TIRnRR playlists, detailing shows we're never really going to do...but could.

Awrighty. Having already concocted fake playlists of records I was playing when I was living in the dorms in college and records I was playing when I lived in my first post-college apartment, let's hear a little music from my summer breaks. This playlist is built from some of the 45s and LP tracks that accrued turntable time during the summers of 1978 and '79, when I was home from school in between spring and fall semesters.

Typical of my personal pop music environments at any point in my life, these summer songs included older stuff and then-recent releases alike. As always: great records don't care what year it is. I may yet supplement these three playlists with a look back at what I was listening to in the summer of '77, that (barely) pre-punk period in between graduating high school and beginning my freshman year at college. 

But for now: school's out for the summer. And we start with a familiar Alice Cooper oldie I'd known for years, but which I added to my collection in 1979 when I purchased the soundtrack album for a movie starring the Ramones. School's out completely.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl--y'know, the real one--airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read all about this show's long and weird history here: Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (The History Of THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO). TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS are always welcome.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download
***And NOW AVAILABLE! This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 5!***
     CD or download

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!!

You can follow Carl's daily blog Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) at 
https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/

FAKE TIRnRR PLAYLIST: Summer Break Music [a snapshot of what I was listening to when college was out for the summer]

ALICE COOPER: School's Out
JONATHAN RICHMAN: Roadrunner
THE NERVES: When You Find Out
THE SEARCHERS: Take Me For What I'm Worth
THE ROMANTICS: Little White Lies
THE RAMONES: I Want You Around
--
THE RAMONES: Rock 'n' Roll High School
THE LAST: She Don't Know Why I'm Here
JOE JACKSON: Sunday Papers
ARTFUL DODGER: It's Over
THE SEEDS: No Escape
SEGARINI: Gotta Have Pop
--
SUZI QUATRO: Tear Me Apart
THE OHMS: Teenage Alcoholic
THE BOBBY FULLER FOUR: I Fought The Law
THE DAVE CLARK FIVE: Don't You Realize
GEORGE THOROGOOD & THE DESTROYERS: Move It On Over
THE POLICE: Roxanne
--
THE FLAMIN' GROOVIES: Don't Put Me On
THE BEATLES: Look What You're Doing
THE RUNAWAYS: Heartbeat
THE SEX PISTOLS: Pretty Vacant [Spunk]
HERMAN'S HERMITS: The Man With The Cigar
THE DWIGHT TWILLEY BAND: I'm On Fire
--
THE EASYBEATS: Friday On My Mind
JOHN TRAVOLTA & OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN: Summer Nights
THE RASPBERRIES: I'm A Rocker
BUDDY HOLLY: Well...All Right
THE JAM: All Around The World
THE BATTERED WIVES: Uganda Stomp
--
THE FLASHCUBES: Christi Girl
THE STANDELLS: Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White
TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS: I Need To Know
CAST OF THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW: The Time Warp
THE PLEASERS: Who Are You
THE CREATION: Making Time
--
THE RAMONES: Rockaway Beach [It's Alive]
THE SEX PISTOLS: Something Else
THE TURTLES: Let Me Be
THE CLASH: London's Burning
THE WHO: The Good's Gone
BLONDIE: Little Girl Lies
--
THE ROMANTICS: I Can't Tell You Anything
THE SMALL FACES: Sorry She's Mine
THE RECORDS: Starry Eyes
GENERATION X: Your Generation
SHAUN CASSIDY: Hey Deanie
X-RAY SPEX: Oh Bondage Up Yours!
DUSTY SPRINGFIELD: Wishin' And Hopin'
THE FLASHCUBES: Guernica/Got No Mind
--
THE RAMONES & THE PALEY BROTHERS: Come On Let's Go
THE JAM: Strange Town
PUBLIC IMAGE LTD: Public Image
THE CLASH: Tommy Gun
PAUL COLLINS: Walking Out On Love
EARTH QUAKE: Train Ride
THE KINKS: She's Got Everything
THE MOTORS: Dancing The Night Away
--
P. J. SOLES: Rock 'n' Roll High School

No comments:

Post a Comment