Tuesday, June 20, 2023

He THOUGHT He Was An Artist! (Memoirs From Back At The Drawing Board): The Scrap Paper Gallery

When I was a teenager, I wanted to be an artist almost as much as I wanted to be a writer. I kept writing, and I got better at it; I didn't really stick with the art to the extent that would have been necessary, so those skills never improved. 

Doesn't mean I stopped.

Back in this post, I mentioned my ongoing predilection for scribbling random little drawings on scrap paper. That post was about my li'l dashed-off portrait of Joey Ramone. You remember that one, right?

Of course you do! So let's join our Joey with a few other gems from my Scrap Paper Gallery.

The truth is I scratch out so many of these things, pretty much every day, and the vast majority of them are immediately consigned to the recycling bin. The SUPERCATE! picture is a portrait of a coworker, and it has survived years, maybe even longer. As you can see, it's tacked on a bulletin board at work. It's one of my rare color works, though we've remixed a black and white version for contrast. Um...no pun intended. 

Nor accomplished.

Batman is my favorite scribbling sketch subject. To wit:

The original Captain Marvel has turned up in a couple of scrap paper renderings:

And Superman made a holiday appearance, decked out in a Santa Claus hat and beard:

I also imagined Groucho Marx as a power pop musician:

But sometimes I just start drawing someone of no previously-fixed identity:

With that last one, I like how it shows the influence of comics artist Jim Aparo. And yeah, I do know I couldn't draw like the late, great Aparo on my best day. 

But it's fun to try!

After a busy night saving the world, even heroes crave TACOS!!

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment