Friday, June 9, 2023

He THOUGHT He Was An Artist! (Memoirs From Back At The Drawing Board): The Picture Of JOEY RAMONE

When I was a teenager, I wanted to be an artist almost as much as I wanted to be a writer. I kept writing, and I got better at it; I didn't really stick with the art to the extent that would have been necessary, so those skills never improved. 

Doesn't mean I stopped.

This portrait of Joey Ramone is just a doodle I did at work. Scribbled sketches on scrap paper represent the primary medium for my artwork. If I ever have a showing at a gallery, I'm gonna need a lot of really, really, really small frames.

I'd say the publication of my book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones has put the Ramones in my mind, but c'mon! The Ramones are ALWAYS in my mind! That's why I wrote the book in the first place!

I've been doing Gabba Gabba Hey! book release parties, in-stores, and book signings. As yet, I haven't tried to render a quick-draw Joey alongside my autograph in anyone's copy of my book. I may think I'm an artist, but I also know I'm not an artist, and I'm reluctant to risk ruining someone's (presumably) cherished copy of Gabba Gabba Hey!

But I dunno. Maybe? Perhaps I'll risk it if someone wants me to do that at my book-signing in New York on June 29th. New York City really has it all. 

IN-PERSON EVENT! On June 29, I will be making an in-store appearance at GENERATION RECORDS, 210 Thompson Street in NYC on behalf of my  new book GABBA GABBA HEY! A CONVERSATION WITH THE RAMONES. The book contains my 1994 interviews with Joey, Johnny, Marky, and C.J., which were cited by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as essential reading. I'll be at Generation to chat with fellow Ramones fans, talk about the book, the interviews, and how the music of the Ramones impacted my life. If you are in the New York area on June 29th, I would love to see you at Generation Records. Hey-ho, let's GO! 

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment