Thursday, June 8, 2023

Something In The Air

Photo by Syracuse's NewsChannel 9

Central New Yorkers are used to dealing with blizzard conditions, rainstorms, and winter tsuris. We once had a derecho--which is kind of like a tornado on steroids--that took out power for most of a week. But having the worst air quality in the state of New York? See, that one's new to us.

A noxious haze invaded Syracuse this week, the palpable (and how!) smoke riding ill winds from the wildfires raging in Quebec. It's important to note that this hasn't been much more than an odd inconvenience for me. It's weird and unsettling, but it can't compare to the heartache of those actually displaced by fire, nor to the travails of others who've faced natural disasters from hurricanes to earthquakes. I'd say this is all a walk in the park compared to those horrors, but Syracusans have been advised to stay indoors as much as possible, so maybe we'll postpone that walk in the park for now.

So yeah, it's been strange. The Air Quality Index in Syracuse topped 400 on Wednesday, a level scientists refer to as FUCK!!! Or hazardous. Same thing. My allergies have been on high alert, and I've been scratchy and lightheaded. On Tuesday, a quick trip to my parked car and back felt like being in a movie filmed in sepia tone.

But I'm okay, probably better than okay. It's just not something I'm used to. I joked that I'd rather deal with a blizzard than this, but my wife pointed out that at least she can drive through this.

Then we saw news footage of people in Canada driving through Hell on Earth, flames shooting skyward at the side of the road, right next to them, as they tried to race toward someplace--anyplace--that couldn't be described as an inferno. I'll take snow or even toxic soot over that.

Relief is in sight for Syracuse. Winds will shift, rain will come, and the skies will clear. Living color will replace sepia. We'll get back to what we're used to in very short order.

I pray the same will be true in Quebec.

No comments:

Post a Comment