Friday, July 12, 2024

THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (VOLUME...2?)

Should I?

The publication this week of my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) has begun to invite the question: When will there be a Volume 2? Will there be a Volume 2

It's not a groundswell of public acclaim, just a couple of folks asking. And it's a natural question to ask, especially given that spoiler-defying Volume 1 I stuck right in the damned book's title. But the answer for now careens somewhere between I dunno, We'll see, Probably, Not NOW!, and Can I please just have another hot cup of coffee?

But yeah, a hypothetical GREM! Volume 2 seems likely at some point, and that point might not be all that distant. I have a lot of other things to work on first, including at least two other books I hope to bludgeon into shape for 2025. 

Still, another GREM! volume could possibly fit into my schedule sooner than I say. I wrote a lot of material for Volume 1, and it was way, way more than I wound up using. That means I have completed chapters about tracks by the Velvelettes, Elton John, the Dandy Warhols, Alice Cooper, the Mynah Birds, Eddie Cochran, the Five Stairsteps, the Creation, Judas Priest, Parthenon Huxley, Boney M, Mannix, the Buzzcocks, the Jam, the Lovin' Spoonful, Sam Cooke, First Aid Kit, the Rubinoos, Ronnie Spector and the E Street Band, the Romantics, the Dixie Cups, the CookiesTom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Searchers, the MC5, the New York Dolls, T. Rex, Fontella Bass, Emitt Rhodes, Nick Lowe, Wham, Love, the Clash, more from GREM # 1 stars the Beatles, Ramones, Kinks, and Monkees, and a big ol' passel of others that are partially written, mostly written, or barely started, from Peggy Lee and Toots and the Maytals through the Pretenders, Ray Charles, Amos Milburn, Blondie, and the Animals. Some of these will probably form the first sketched notions of an eventual The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 2).

Eventually. Not just yet. But...well, one never know, do one?

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider a visit to CC's Tip Jar

My new book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) is now available for order; you can see details here. My 2023 book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is also still available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio. You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl





2 comments: